Craftsman rear-end gone bad?

unenergizer

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am posting this message for my dad as he doesn't know computers very well. So I will relay his message to you the best I can.

Make: Craftsman Riding Lawnmower
Model: 917.2736403

Problem: No torque to rear end to push the lawnmower (drive it). He has replaced the belt encase it was slipping and that was not it. You can put the mower in gear and it won't move a budge, but the blades still drop down and work. If you jack the rear end up, the tires will start to spin, when they are off the ground. My dad only weighs 180 lbs so I am sure that his weight is not the problem. We have had this mower for quite some time and it has been a pleasant machine to own.

He seems to think it is the rear-end.

If the rear-end is the problem, he found an old lawn mower he wants to attempt to change them out. Part of the sticker that was on the bottom of the seat was torn off and there was no body cover over the mower so I am not sure what the Manufacturer name is. However what I could make out was...

Make: (torn off sticker ends in) ern Auto (Kansas City)
Model: AH660F098

EDIT: He said its a craftsman.

He would like to know if it would be worth trying to change them out. I decided to post this for him, instead of him having to tear both machines down and trying something that has a huge potential Not to work.

If you need anymore information, just ask. I sincerely appreciate it and I know he will aswell. He is a disabled veteran (fused spine and more) so this kind of work will put him down in the bed for about 3 days until most the pain goes away. Just trying to look out for my dad and give him a helping hand if I can.

Thanks fellas,
Andrew

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The tranny in the craftsman is a tecumseh/peerless MST200 was as the other mower is a mtd yard machine type more with a mtd type gear transmission and are not interchangable. You might be able to find another mower with a hydrogear transmission that will bolt up. Peerless is now owned by Husqvarna. The problem with the tranny may be something as simply as needed to be bleed. Jack up the rearend and let the wheels spin and see if it improves. Also check to make sure the belt isn't bottoming out in the engine pulley causing it to slip.

unenergizer

Forum Newbie
Threads
The tranny in the craftsman is a tecumseh/peerless MST200 was as the other mower is a mtd yard machine type more with a mtd type gear transmission and are not interchangable. You might be able to find another mower with a hydrogear transmission that will bolt up. Peerless is now owned by Husqvarna. The problem with the tranny may be something as simply as needed to be bleed. Jack up the rearend and let the wheels spin and see if it improves. Also check to make sure the belt isn't bottoming out in the engine pulley causing it to slip.

Thank your for posting!!! I will give that a try in a few hours and see what happens. I will try to make a video and take some pictures so you guys can see what is going on firsthand.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it!!! :thumbsup:

smitty6398

Forum Newbie
Threads
If a rear tire was recently removed, the keystock between the wheel and axle may be missing. Commonly overlooked on Craftsman and Murray after flat fixin'.

Reapomann

Forum Newbie
Threads
Smitty, dead on buddy, had the same problem rolling... Was about to get the wrenches out and rip the rear end apart. Went out, took the wheel back off, no keystock, lying on the floor in between the mower tires - keystock.

Thanks again Smitty!