Z225 starter dragging

Macappletex

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Z225 mower. My mower died while I was mowing. I tried to restart it but the engine would barely turn over-dragging. I tried jumping the battery but no luck. I bought a new battery thinking the battery had gone bad (2+ years) but this did not fix the problem. The engine barely turns when I try to start it. I have 350 hours on the engine.

BBO

Threads
The engine barely turns when I try to start it.

If you can take it off and get it to a starter/alternator shop they can possibly test it or even repair it.
You could have another problem.

I think a new starter is about $100 and the solenoid is only maybe $10

Are you getting the full 13 volts to the starter from the solenoid?

The fact that it died while you were mowing may mean something else is wrong.
Make sure the large wires from the battery are all clean and secure. (Especially the frame ground)

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
From your symptoms the first thing I would check is if the ground wire running from the battery to the chassis is clean and tight on both ends. Especially the chassis end.

BBO

Threads
I tried to restart it but the engine would barely turn over-dragging.

So what's the update on this??

On these forums you get free advice with the posts.
You should always post the result so others can learn from the thread.

jons30427@yahoo.com

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mine drags and I know I'm getting plenty of power to start the engine. My mower is about 8 years old with no real maintenance done.
When I try to crank it the starter drags. turns slightly then stalls. I've been told the solenoid could be bad. I've checked my battery connections
they are good, it's not the power source, it's either the starter is bad or the solenoid is bad. I'm starting with replacement of the solenoid, the will move on to
a new starter. A mechanic that works on small engines told me it sounded like the solenoid was bad.
If you have a different experience let me know.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Mine drags and I know I'm getting plenty of power to start the engine. My mower is about 8 years old with no real maintenance done.
When I try to crank it the starter drags. turns slightly then stalls. I've been told the solenoid could be bad. I've checked my battery connections
they are good, it's not the power source, it's either the starter is bad or the solenoid is bad. I'm starting with replacement of the solenoid, the will move on to
a new starter. A mechanic that works on small engines told me it sounded like the solenoid was bad.
If you have a different experience let me know.

Simple to check.
Run a jumper from your battery - to the engine block.
Mower starts fine = bad ground

Run a jumper from your battery + to the hot side of the solenoid
Starts fine = bad power supply wire

Do the same as above to the starter side of the solenoid
Starts fine = duff solenoid
Dosn't start properly = duff starter

Before you da any of these check the valve lash.
I get a dozen "unfixable" mowers in every season where the owners have replaced some or all of the following for a cost of around $ 400 when all the mower needed was a valve adjustment.
Starter motor , solenoid, battery, ignition switch , PTO switch, Ground lead, Power lead.

jons30427@yahoo.com

Forum Newbie
Threads
Tried jumping from solenoid -and believe it or not I adjusted the valve a month ago as it was loose. The motor just shut off - I tried everything - found the rocker real loose. After I tightened with similar play as the other rocker - I mowed 3 times since- so I'm betting it's the starter. Not real sure what you mean running a jumper. If you respond give polarity in description. Like " hook jumper from pos on battery to hot wire to starter" etc...

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You are trying to bypass the mowers wiring so a jumper to the engine is just that a jumper lead from the - terminal of the battery to the engine ( I usually use the oil drain bolt )
The + jumpers are exactly that from the + on the battery to where ever I told you to put it.
Best put on the engine first then on the battery to avoid accidential shorts.