Considering a Hustler..Need Advice

crpepple

Forum Newbie
Threads
My wife and I are getting ready to close on a farm house that sits on 4.32 acres. Minus the house, barn, trees, & outbuildings I imagine I am looking around 3.5-4 acres to mow. Some of the terrain is a little rough (an old grass paster) but I plan on leveling the roughness out over the coming season(s).

I really like Hustler, Exmark, and Scag but keep coming back to Hustler for whatever reason. I have went to a dealer to see about their demo models and talk to them about the Fastraks. Of course at the dealer they immediately stated how the Fastrak isn't enough mower, the Fastrak SD would be a better choice, but if I was smart I would go with a X-One or bigger. Then he began comparing numbers, options, etc... but conveniently had no models on site I could get my hands on and look at. Then he tried getting me to buy his demo Super Z for right around $8k. I already know I want a 60" deck and 25hp at minimum.

My question is being strictly a personal use mower and mowing twice a week during PEEk season and barely at all during july and august what would I be smart to go with? Is a Fastrak not enough mower in your experience for what I am going to mow? Should I consider the Fastrak SD or even bigger? Any advice would be helpful and much welcomed.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
With close to 4 acres to mow you are Not going to get too much Mower...
Get the Super Duty, you will never have to get another mower...:smile:KennyV

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check out the Kubota before you buy. They are tough and they will getter done.

gabowman

Threads
I wound up buying the Super Duty when all the time I was looking at buying the Fastrak. The features of the SD compared to the Fastrak made my mind up on buying it and I also got it for a great price. I bought the 60" model and cut my lawn in just over an hour. With only 8 hours on the mower I'm very happy with my purchase. It'll cut ANYTHING that I'd put my mower into.

wildwood cutter

Forum Newbie
Threads
You can't go wrong with either sport trak or the sport trak super duty. I have the SD kaw 22 HP w/ 48 inch deck. I mow 3 acres every two weeks.

Both are a residential mowers but can be used for commercial use. Personally, I think the SD is what you need for all those acres you will be cutting. It will last forever!

Hustler are the way. Good luck in your purchase.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
My wife and I are getting ready to close on a farm house that sits on 4.32 acres. Minus the house, barn, trees, & outbuildings I imagine I am looking around 3.5-4 acres to mow. Some of the terrain is a little rough (an old grass paster) but I plan on leveling the roughness out over the coming season(s).

I really like Hustler, Exmark, and Scag but keep coming back to Hustler for whatever reason. I have went to a dealer to see about their demo models and talk to them about the Fastraks. Of course at the dealer they immediately stated how the Fastrak isn't enough mower, the Fastrak SD would be a better choice, but if I was smart I would go with a X-One or bigger. Then he began comparing numbers, options, etc... but conveniently had no models on site I could get my hands on and look at. Then he tried getting me to buy his demo Super Z for right around $8k. I already know I want a 60" deck and 25hp at minimum.

My question is being strictly a personal use mower and mowing twice a week during PEEk season and barely at all during july and august what would I be smart to go with? Is a Fastrak not enough mower in your experience for what I am going to mow? Should I consider the Fastrak SD or even bigger? Any advice would be helpful and much welcomed.

That Super Z for $8K would be a good deal depending on how many hours are on it and I agree that you need to stick with the Super Duty if you go with the residential FasTrak. If you are OK with spending $8K, you may want to take a look at the 60" Gravely Pro Turn XDZ 100 commercial that has a $7799 MSRP and compare it's specs with the others you are looking at. Lifetime deck warranty, 2 Year Commercial/1,000 hour warranty, etc. it's a worthy comparison to the Hustlers, Exmarks and Scags. Here's a link to the tech specs if you're interested:

http://www.gravely.com/en-us/SeriesDownloads/SellSheet_ProTurn100.pdf

Freightlinerman

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just bought the 2014 super duty. I think it has the best engine, ride, quality construction, features and size. I have 2 acres and I is amazing on how fast you can cut your lawn. I did research for two months and test drove the Scag, Gravely, Exmark and the Hustler. The 2014 model has wider wheels in the front and drives very well. I put the accelerator bagger on it to save money over the blower/bagger. I recommend this set up highly. It's nice when it all comes together after all that research. It's worth the time and effort. Good luck on your search!

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I just bought the 2014 super duty. I think it has the best engine, ride, quality construction, features and size. I have 2 acres and I is amazing on how fast you can cut your lawn. I did research for two months and test drove the Scag, Gravely, Exmark and the Hustler. The 2014 model has wider wheels in the front and drives very well. I put the accelerator bagger on it to save money over the blower/bagger. I recommend this set up highly. It's nice when it all comes together after all that research. It's worth the time and effort. Good luck on your search!

That is a great mower & you will Love it for decades.... :smile:KennyV

Tom59

Threads
I own a brand new Fastrak for that much acreage you need to mow , get the Super Duty. Surely the FT will mow it just fine they are basically the same mowers one uses the FX series engines and donaldson air cleaner and has a slightly longer warranty. I thought the SD was overkill for my use 1-1/2 acres. http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/hustler-forum/18147-whats-difference.html

Yeah , SD is plenty of mower.

I love mine ...they make mowing fun , seriously. Mines a 48" deck which is perfect for me.

PVHIII

Threads

Buy the Fastrak Super duty...the main reason is the commercial grade engine...seems like they're ALOT stronger.I had a Raptor with a 23.5 Kaw FS (non commercial) and took it back and Bought the Fastrak SD 48 inch with a 24 HP FX series Kaw and seems like I've doubled in HP...commercial engines are ALOT stouter than their counterparts the FS series engines.I didn't realize that until I got my. New mower...I thought HP was HP