Overheating John Deere 997

XtraStepMowing

Forum Newbie
Threads
I added a John Deere 997 72" cut 3cyl diesel to my mowing operation this summer and it has done an outstanding job with my larger accounts....however, when the grass is really dry that engine is drawing in so much air that the cut grass tends to gather on the rear screen and cover the radiator causing the engine to get hot.

Its not a huge issue...but it is very irritating to have to stop mowing to clean off radiator. Anyone out there running 997's and have had this same issue? If so...curious what you did to remedy situation. THANKS!!

Grasmo

Threads
I have several 997's and they all have to be cleaned regularly....incorporate some type of service each day that they are used and you will have a long,long,long life from them...but yes it can be aggravating until you get used to it....this year in Tallahassee Florida we have had so much rain there is hardly any dust /dry clippings....we have been lucky.

XtraStepMowing

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks so much for your reply. I really enjoy the 997 and have incorporated cleaning each time it goes out. Also started carrying portable air tank where I can clear off grass out in the field when needed.
Wish we had some of your rain...has not rained here in weeks...mowing business all but stopped until the rain comes.

Thanks again!!

Don

Grasmo

Threads
back pack blower does pretty good too.....i have been mowing a long long time and will never switch from 997's ......i used to trade in every 3 years....now i just keep them repaired....