Crankcase fills with gas

PreacherPat

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Ferris with a 21hp Kawasaki. I tried to start it the other day and it would turn over but not fire, I checked the gas tank (I had filled it the last time I ran it) and it was almost empty. I checked the dipstick and there was no oil showing but the dipstick had gas on it. I drained the crankcase, all gas, checked the filter, again gas. I spoke with a guy who sells these and he said that the needle valve must have had debris in it and stuck open, to put on a new filter and oil and start it. I did what he said to do and it ran for a minute, blowing gas out the muffler and then I noticed a change in its idle, turned it off and it had again filled the crankcase. Sorry to be so long winded, anyone have an answer or suggestion as to what to do?

afoulk

Threads
the float might be bad and is getting gas in inside it, which would not allow it to "float" anymore to close the needle valve.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You need to get the carb rebuilt with a new float needle and seat. I would also look into a new mechanic. This is a very common problem nowadays and common solution.

mistermowerman

Threads
I have a Ferris with a 21hp Kawasaki. I tried to start it the other day and it would turn over but not fire, I checked the gas tank (I had filled it the last time I ran it) and it was almost empty. I checked the dipstick and there was no oil showing but the dipstick had gas on it. I drained the crankcase, all gas, checked the filter, again gas. I spoke with a guy who sells these and he said that the needle valve must have had debris in it and stuck open, to put on a new filter and oil and start it. I did what he said to do and it ran for a minute, blowing gas out the muffler and then I noticed a change in its idle, turned it off and it had again filled the crankcase. Sorry to be so long winded, anyone have an answer or suggestion as to what to do?

Long term think about an inline fuel tap for when it is not being used, Gary

taxidermist

Threads
I dont think the seat is replaceable on that carb. The last one i did I used a Qtip and valve lapping paste and my drill to polish the seat. This stopped the flow of fuel.

Or you could install a fuel shut off and run it out of fuel to shut it off.

Rob