Are residential zero turns worth it???????

Rpeter1

Threads
I have an old (20 years??) Gravely commercial grade zero turn. It is one of those kind with the two drive wheels up front and you sit on the one wheel in back and turn it by twisting a U shaped stick. Unfortunately I am going too old to turn the stick without it hurting my arthritis. I have 22 acres of land and use it to cut down each side of a 600 foot driveway and to cut about a 1/4 acre square area. I have a Kubota tractor with a bushhog on it to do the real big work "in the woods".

I am thinking of buying a Toro "timecutter" zero turn. It is a residential grade machine and I know it will only last three or four years before I have to replace it. Is it better to do that, or buy a commercial grade machine at 3 times the price, knowing that it will last at least 10 years?

Please help me decide :smile: :smile: :smile:

Will_C

Forum Newbie
Threads
I think you would have better luck with a Toro Timecutter than 3-4 years, given what you mowing. My brother has had a Timecutter for 8 years. He mows about 3 acres with it. He had to replace the bearings on one spindle last year.
A friend has had one for around 6 years, that mower does about 1.5 acres weekly-and that is with yearly service from the dealer, no other maintenance.

Will

Rpeter1

Threads
Thanks for the comment Will. The deck on the timecutter just looks so thin and flimsy compared to the "tank armor" deck I have on the gravely.

jimbo64

Threads
Thanks for the comment Will. The deck on the timecutter just looks so thin and flimsy compared to the "tank armor" deck I have on the gravely.

so is what we are alluding to that the used commercial mowers might be a better buy then the new residential ones--there is big differences on how they are constructed---this is a truism:thumbsup:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
jimbo is RIGHT ...
BIG difference in materials, engineering and workmanship.

If you are mowing anything more than A typical residential lot... You should be looking at something more than a typical residential 'lawn mower'. KennyV

Zeroturn

Threads
We own a residential Gravely Zero turn (bought it last year new). It's awesome. We haven't had any problems with it and it's cut our mowing time down by a couple of hours. It was a great price too. I would think you would stick with Gravely since you have had yours for so long.

txzrider

Threads
It sounds like he cuts 1200(2 x 600) ft of area adjacent to his driveway and a 1/4 acre to boot... this sounds easily doable for any residential zt mower with proper maintenance for many years to come. And unless he is hitting stuff with the residential deck... it should holdup. I mowed 15 years(1/3rd acre with an accasional acre at my parents house) with a decidedly residential deck on my snapper and never had a belt break or a bearing issue. I do change the oil yearly and grease every zerk sometimes twice a year. My new Country Clipper should do as well or better, with easier to maintain deck. If Arthritus is and issue you might even see if there is a country clipper dealer around to try out the joystick.. you would be surprised how easy mowing with 1 hand while drinking an iced tea can be!! :laughing: I liked what I saw of the timecutters as well as the CC RZT S. Also the RZT S has a steering wheel that controls the dual hydo's so it is easy to steer with 1 hand. (I have arthritus in my shoulders and have trouble holding them on the lapbars for long periods of time.)

scott47429

Threads
ok just my 2 cents here i was use to riding the commercial zero turns and bought an residential one for myself but i wasn't happy with the way it felt I'm sure it was a great mower but just wasn't what i was use to and i think if you go from a commercial to a residential you may not be happy i traded mine off after having it two weeks and got a commercial exmark