B & S 6.5 HP Engine Starts But Won't Stay Running

MTCM

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just started this problem. Before now, never a minute's trouble. When I pull the rope, the engine will run for about 2-3 seconds before dying. I thought there might be water in the gas (it's kept in a covered storage area where the sides are open, so rain can get in), so I drained the gas and put fresh gas in, but still no luck. Wondering if I need to take the carb off and check/clean it?
Thanks!

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Post your model numbers.

If it has a bowl type carb, loosen the nut on the bottom of the bowl and let the carb drain, if you had water in your system, it is still in there.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If that doesn't work time to remove the carb, clean throughly, install new float needle and seat (part #398188) reassemble,install and your problem should be solved.

MTCM

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, the carb isn't the float type, but here's what I wound up doing...I removed the air filter cover on the side, and took my wife's hair dryer, using the cool setting, blew into the carb opening for a few moments, and also dried out the filter, as well. The engine runs perfectly, now. I'm sure this method isn't recommended by Troy Bilt or Briggs & Stratton, but it worked for me.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sorry I'm confused. Please post the model numbers of the engine.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sorry I'm confused. Please post the model numbers of the engine.

Me too!

I think you have a bowl type carb and don't know it! You also probably just burned off the last of the water in your fuel system....