Mower wont start MTSD

mountainman

Forum Newbie
Threads
The mower wont start. It acts like it is not in neutral but it is. The starter does not engage. I tried bypassing the neutral switch with no luck.
Any ideas?

DaveTN

Threads
Make sure it's in neutral then jump it off with a car battery. Put the positive jumper on the positive terminal going to the starter. Then turn the key ON and use the negative jumper to ground out somewhere on the frame. That should spin the engine if it's going to. Get someone to sit on it and hold the clutch in as well. Be prepared for it to start.

midnite rider

Lawn Addict
Threads
Make sure also the pto is not engaged and the pto safety switch is operating properly.

mountainman

Forum Newbie
Threads
PTO not engaged and the switch is working. Still wont start. Wont even turn over. The oil pressure light comes on and the alert sounds just like normal when the key is turned on and it is not running. It acts like it is not in neutral, but the drive lever is back as far as it will go. The battery is at 12.8 volts and is 3 years old. It doesn't act like a low battery, but anything is possible at this point.

lawnbarbers

Threads
Try moving the console...mine had loose wires from vibration

mountainman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks everyone for your help. I found a relay that was not energizing. It was the relay for the neutral safety switch. I swapped it out and it starts. They keep the relays at NAPA auto parts.

Thanks,
Eric

Kurttb1

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have similar problem, will check my relay, here is what I just left in a new thread

Sometimes the mower will crank-over with the key no problem and will start, however, if it doesn't start after cranking-over the first time, it will not try to crank anymore using the key until maybe the next day. I can leave the key on and jump the aux. solenoid and the mower starts no problem. Something is changing after the first engagement, which causes the electric not to reach the aux. solenoid/starter.

Originally this mower had a wire going directly from the key switch to the starter/solenoid, however, I added an auxiliary solenoid in order to spare the Newly installed key switch from excess electrical heat from the direct starter/solenoid hook-up. I don't know of any reason this set-up should not work the same, (I believe the newer models actually addressed the wires overheating by including this set-up) The mower will crank with the key, normally on the first attempt to crank, then it will not crank with the key again until the next day or so.

Is anyone familiar with the kinds of electrical gadgets on these mowers which might do this?

jabacon6669

Forum Newbie
Threads
Having similar issues. Turn key and just get a loud click. Battery seems fine. Recently I would notice sometimes the click then would try it again and would start right up. Any suggestions?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Make & model of mower
Make & model of engine
I am quite capable of writing a 22,000 word post on how to diagnose & repair any mower but I am too lazy to do it and most are too lazy to read it