JD L130 blew 20A fuse while mowing - upon replacing, blows again when engaging blades

torycat

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / JD L130 blew 20A fuse while mowing - upon replacing, blows again when engaging blades
Hi,

I was mowing the lawn today when the engine died. It wouldn't crank at all but noticed power to the hour LCD meter.

I checked the 20A fuse - it was blown. I replace, the engine started right up, but when I tried to engage the mower, it wouldn't turn at all, and the fuse immediately blew again.

I replaced the fuse again so I could drive the machine off my lawn, haven't tried the mower blades again - any thoughts? It was running great until then.

Thanks for any suggestions & your time in advance.

BBO

Threads
  • / JD L130 blew 20A fuse while mowing - upon replacing, blows again when engaging blades
I checked the 20A fuse - it was blown. I replace, the engine started right up, but when I tried to engage the mower, it wouldn't turn at all, and the fuse immediately blew again.

It sounds like the PTO clutch is bad. Or you have a wire to the clutch shorted out.
Can you find the clutch to unplug it?

You might want to put in a 10 amp fuse just as you are looking for the short. It could save some wires or electrical connections.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes check the clutch.

Electric PTO Clutch - L130:
Resistance. . . . . . . . . . . 2.4 - 2.7 ohms
Current Draw. . . . . . . . . . . . . 4 amps

torycat

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you both for your time & perspective. I don't know how to check the clutch but will do some research.

If the PTO clutch is dead, is this a big repair job -- i.e. would you recommend getting it fixed or would you consider a new mower? The L130 has run well and has been well maintained but it's about 10 years old or so. I'd rather not buy a new machine but if the fix isn't worth it, that would be great to know.

Thanks again!

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
First check to see if it is the clutch, and it look's that way..! and yes I would go for a clutch replacement. and if you are unsure about doing the job yourself, ask at your shop about the cost and go from there.

BBO

Threads
First check to see if it is the clutch, and it look's that way..! and yes I would go for a clutch replacement. and if you are unsure about doing the job yourself, ask at your shop about the cost and go from there.

:thumbsup:

Gil

Threads
Had same problem with my JD G345 a couple years ago. It was the clutch. Replaced it and corrected the problem. If you are somewhat mechanically inclined changing the clutch is no problem. Tip: It is much easier to change the clutch if you have access to a air wrench. If memory serves me correctly, the new clutch from John Deere was about $135. Which is much less than a new tractor. If the Mower is in good shape otherwise, go for replacing the clutch. Seems John Deere wanted to save a few cents on the design of their Mowers, or at least yours and mine. Only two fuses and the one fuse handles both the running circuit and the clutch. The other fuse on mine was for the lights only.
Regards,
Gil

pfleming

Threads
Hey guys, new member here. I also have an L130 that was recently given to me by a friend. The blades wouldn't engage, and upon a little diagnostic work, discovered that the pto clutch winding is shorted to the housing. The switch is also fried, so both will have to be replaced. I'm also going to check the harness, but I think it's ok. My question is, where is the cheapest place to buy the switch and clutch at. The local dealer wants about $175 for the clutch, and $25 for the switch. Thanks in advance, and you guys have a great site here.....

BBO

Threads
My question is, where is the cheapest place to buy the switch and clutch at. The local dealer wants about $175 for the clutch, and $25 for the switch.

The numbers are probably GY20878 & AM131966. Don't take my word for it...

Green Farm parts is the online place I use mostly.
John Deere Parts Online Discount Store: Green Farm Parts

Google the part numbers and you will find all kinds of places to order from online including E-Bay.
I would suggest you be careful with the ones that are not genuine OEM parts.

And if your local dealer is close to the price, let him order them for you. Then if they happen to be wrong, returns should be easy.

pfleming

Threads
Thanks for the quick response BBO, that's about what I was thinking, but wanted a little confirmation I guess. It may cost a little more to get it through the dealer, but it would be nice to have the reassurance that if it's wrong, I'm not stuck with it. Overall, what do you think about the L130 mowers? My neighbor has one that he bought new, and he assures me that it's one tough mower, and cuts good on top of that.