Blown motor

javjacob

Threads
The L/LA/D series John Deere's are just cheap entry level lawn tractors made to compete with the cheap MTD mowers. The REAL (X series) John Deere's are not sold at Lowes or Home Depot... they are only sold at John Deere dealerships.

DaveTN

Threads
UPDATE: Just the other day I ran into the guy who owns the blown engine I fixed with all the issues mentioned
below. It's still running like a Singer Sewing Machine! Must've done something right eh? :thumbsup: :laughing:

horizona

Forum Newbie
Threads
You presume a lot, I am perfectly aware that JD do not make the engine, that it is built by a another party, however where I live the company that makes, assembles the product and sells it through their franchised dealer network must warrant it, warranty is 200 hrs, 2 years, however, once again where I am, a product must be good for the purpose for which it is sold and a catastrophic engine failure, not run out of oil, not dusted, not abused at 170 hours is not acceptable.

You are referring to a merchantability law. I have used this law with 100% success in Massachusetts. If you read warranties they state the manufacturers warranty followed by the clause "Unless your state says otherwise". Very few people realize and understand this merchantability clause. The design intent far exceeds the John Deere warranty. In Mass the dealers add two additional years onto the warranty Even the additional 2 years does not hack it in court.

577jersey

Threads
The only junk deeres I like are the older(from 90s) ones with the kawasaki FC420V engines..cant kill those engines at all,,never!!!

laurin800

Threads
Hi, been a JD mechanical for quite a while. These Intek motors have a common problem. When the governor allows the motor to over rev, the torque of the counter balance exceeds the arm strength, destroying them and letting the balance do its damage. There is some help for this: after break in, immediately use full synthetic oil. And next- whenever you hear the motor all the sudden over rev, shut it off. I have also dropped the max operating rpm on the throttle as sometimes going down a grade will let the motor over rev. It's a decent motor, but never should have been allowed so many rpm. It was done for HP rating and or emissions. Hope the save future disasters.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hi, been a JD mechanical for quite a while. These Intek motors have a common problem. When the governor allows the motor to over rev, the torque of the counter balance exceeds the arm strength, destroying them and letting the balance do its damage. There is some help for this: after break in, immediately use full synthetic oil. And next- whenever you hear the motor all the sudden over rev, shut it off. I have also dropped the max operating rpm on the throttle as sometimes going down a grade will let the motor over rev. It's a decent motor, but never should have been allowed so many rpm. It was done for HP rating and or emissions. Hope the save future disasters.

Yep and the bolt that holds the 2 halves of the counterweight could also go one size bigger.
However the problem is not limited the JD's , I see a lot of Husqvarnas with the same problem.
I think some of the problem lies with the owners who seem to think because it is green & yellow it will run for 100 years without any maintenance.
The Huskies that blow up have usually been service my me or the other local shop once or twice and some times we catch them on the way out so it is just a new rod & bolt.
All of the JD's had never seen a shop for service and most showed signs of neglect ( no grease, & undersides with enough dirt to grow potatoes ).
So to me it is a matter of persecption.
People expect their cheap Craftsman, McCulloch, Poulan, Roper. & shop brand mowers to roll over & die but a JD that is $ 200 cheaper is expected to last forever.

Down here it is 12 months minimum warrantee and if some one offers extended warranty they have to honour it or the government comes down like a ton of bricks for the price of a $ 45 registered complaint.