Blown motor

Not a JD

Forum Newbie
Threads
If anybody is thinking of a John Deere do not, buy anything but. I have a LA115 that has done 171 hours, serviced as per the book and the governor has destroyed itself and the motor has suffered a catastrophic failure. John Deere do not want to know and will not pay a cent. DO NOT BUY A JOHN DEERE PRODUCT.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
If anybody is thinking of a John Deere do not, buy anything but. I have a LA115 that has done 171 hours, serviced as per the book and the governor has destroyed itself and the motor has suffered a catastrophic failure. John Deere do not want to know and will not pay a cent. DO NOT BUY A JOHN DEERE PRODUCT.

I agree don't buy a junk Deere.

So let me guess your one of the people that think John Deere builds the engines on there mowers?

As much as I do not like JD you can not blame engine problems on them they don't make the engine.

You need to talk with who makes the engine.
I could be wrong but is it not out of warranty at 150 hours.

(( cowboy up and get over it ))

mullins87

Threads
All JD products are not junk. You bought an entry level JD that has a Briggs and Stratton motor on it "made exclusively for John Deere." It's nothing more than an Intek with some JD labeling on it. I believe everyone here would agree the Intek is B&S's worst engine. I'm not bashing your mower, I have an LA175 with just shy of 300 hours on it. It may blow up tomorrow, who knows. As far as the warranty service goes, that mower should have come with a 2 year/200 hour warranty, or at least that's what mine had. While you are under the hours, your mower is most likely over 2 years old. Either 2009 or 2010 was the last year for the "LA" series, which was replaced by the current "D" series.

I'm sorry your motor grenaded. :thumbdown:

Not a JD

Forum Newbie
Threads
I agree don't buy a junk Deere.

So let me guess your one of the people that think John Deere builds the engines on there mowers?

As much as I do not like JD you can not blame engine problems on them they don't make the engine.

You need to talk with who makes the engine.
I could be wrong but is it not out of warranty at 150 hours.

(( cowboy up and get over it ))

You presume a lot, I am perfectly aware that JD do not make the engine, that it is built by a another party, however where I live the company that makes, assembles the product and sells it through their franchised dealer network must warrant it, warranty is 200 hrs, 2 years, however, once again where I am, a product must be good for the purpose for which it is sold and a catastrophic engine failure, not run out of oil, not dusted, not abused at 170 hours is not acceptable.

mullins87

Threads
I just noticed you appear to be located in Australia. You may have legal remedies that we do not have in the states. Out of warranty is out of warranty for us, regardless of a products intended purpose and final use and care. You surely must realize any mass produced product will have some lemons, and it would be nice if a lemon law could help you here. Even companies like Toyota will have a lemon slip through every now and then. Again, I own a "LA" like yours. However, I thought it was a bad idea when JD started selling these entry level mowers in the big box stores. This is not pointed at the original poster and no offense is intended, but people see the green and yellow paint and the John Deere name, and they expect to get $7,000 mower quality with a $2,000 price tag. The 2000 model JD 335 listed in my signature would be around $6,500-$7,000 if I were to price a new X500 series with comparable specifications. A new D170, which I believe is the current model of my LA175, is $2,900. The quality of the LA175 is not even in the same ballpark as the 335. To use a car reference, it's like comparing a Yugo to a Cadillac. Sure, both cars will get you from point A to point B, but the quality of the trip will be vastly different.

jdwsr

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Guys, I'm new here, so just let me say that it appears that not all JD's are created equal. I have a LTR166 with a 16hp BS I/C engine and have had no trouble at all with it. This LTR is 13 years old and runs like a top! It takes 4 hrs to mow my 2.2 acres and except for idling down after 2 hrs to re-fuel, this engine runs full throttle for the entire time. I change oil and filters once a year. I use synthetic oil and an automotive type oil filter. I don't think John Deere products are junk. A little "pricey perhaps", but not junk...

DaveTN

Threads
Last year a friend of mine was driving his JD with a 17.5 B&S OHV engine across his lawn after mowing.
The blade was not engaged when it suddenly revved up wide open and started clanging and
grinding and banging. He shut it off and took it to the JD dealer only to be told that the governor
had bought the farm and would have to be replaced. Know what they wanted ONLY to replace
the governor and sump bowl gasket? $300 He asked me what I would do it for and I said $100
and after hearing it start I said it was something more than "JUST" the governor. I disassembled
it and found the following:

1) Governor with teeth missing
2) Counterweight hangers in pieces scattered in the block
3) Scored crankshaft
4) Bent piston lands pinching the compression ring in the groove
5) Remains of 2 throttle plate screws embedded in the piston
6) Beaten and battered head due to piston and screws banging it
7) Throttle plate wedged against the Intake Valve in the head

I gave him the grim prognosis and he wanted to fix it anyways. I told him I'd go to the mower
graveyard down the road and see what I could dig up. I found a used piston, used crank, used
governor and re-assembled it after honing out the cylinder and cleaning the block. I told him
it'd be $125 since I had to buy those used parts. Got them at rock bottom prices from an old
blown similar engine on the boneyard heap soon to be hauled in for scrap soon as the prices go
back up. When he came to get it he had the nerve to ask me if I could GUARANTEE IT!! :laughing:
I said "Only as long as it takes to drive it up into your trailer!" I wonder what John Deere would
have charged for what I did? :confused2:

Glyn Robinson

Threads
Last year a friend of mine was driving his JD with a 17.5 B&S OHV engine across his lawn after mowing.
The blade was not engaged when it suddenly revved up wide open and started clanging and
grinding and banging. He shut it off and took it to the JD dealer only to be told that the governor
had bought the farm and would have to be replaced. Know what they wanted ONLY to replace
the governor and sump bowl gasket? $300 He asked me what I would do it for and I said $100
and after hearing it start I said it was something more than "JUST" the governor. I disassembled
it and found the following:

1) Governor with teeth missing
2) Counterweight hangers in pieces scattered in the block
3) Scored crankshaft
4) Bent piston lands pinching the compression ring in the groove
5) Remains of 2 throttle plate screws embedded in the piston
6) Beaten and battered head due to piston and screws banging it
7) Throttle plate wedged against the Intake Valve in the head

I gave him the grim prognosis and he wanted to fix it anyways. I told him I'd go to the mower
graveyard down the road and see what I could dig up. I found a used piston, used crank, used
governor and re-assembled it after honing out the cylinder and cleaning the block. I told him
it'd be $125 since I had to buy those used parts. Got them at rock bottom prices from an old
blown similar engine on the boneyard heap soon to be hauled in for scrap soon as the prices go
back up. When he came to get it he had the nerve to ask me if I could GUARANTEE IT!! :laughing:
I said "Only as long as it takes to drive it up into your trailer!" I wonder what John Deere would

haha the nerve of some people!

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads

You sure did that job a lot cheaper then I would of. Dose this friend help pay your weekly grocery bill, because you did that job for almost free. Then he has the nerve to ask for a guarantee. I am up front with used parts ( NO labor Warranty and parts warranty only what the salvage yard will give me.). I don't do any repair job no matter how small for less then 100 dollars must less a major engine repair. You have too look at the money you have invested in labor, tools, and material's and that doesn't count for the repair parts.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Got to agree.
I give trade a 10% discount OR instant service @ a higher rate.
They all go for overnight service.
Pensioners get big discounts and Bet used to keep a "poverty box" of useable parts that were replaced with new ones ( we do not sharpen blades for an example ) .
But that is it.
Too may people have run my backside into the ground, got a bill less then 30% of what a glass box would charge then asked "can you do a better price ".
The answers is yes , I can charge he usual 35% mark up on all parts so it will cost you 20% more.