How to get rid of Crab Grass and Nut Grass? It's taking over my Lawn.

JOE.G

Threads
  • / How to get rid of Crab Grass and Nut Grass? It's taking over my Lawn.
Hi, I have about 2 acres of lawn, Over the last few years I have had to dig up certain areas, for different projects, After re planting the lawn in those spots I seem to have a lot of Crab Grass and Nut Grass, The are some big patches where the crab grass is thick. I am getting annoyed with it since it grows so much faster then the normal grass. What are my options?

Threads
From Scotts:

Prevention and Maintenance

Set Mowing Height to High
Higher mowing encourages lawn grasses to shade and prevent the germination of crabgrass seeds. A deep, thick lawn seldom contains much crabgrass. You can discourage crabgrass by mowing at the proper height for your grass type.

Deep Water Your Lawn
Weeds are better adapted to adverse growing conditions than most lawn grasses. Shallow and infrequent watering will only weaken the roots of your grass, while allowing the crabgrass to thrive and take over. Water lawns deeply and less frequently. When you water, wet the soil to a depth of 4-6 inches. This usually requires the equivalent of 1/2-1 inch of rainfall.

(Crabgrass in the Lawn: Kill, Control & Prevent It)

sgmgarden

Threads
I agree with the first comment. I would definitely suggest you try and turn the mowing height right up and see if it helps. Hope it does :smile:

JOE.G

Threads
Id like something that I put into a Spreader and put it out on the lawn, How high do you guys recommend me to set the blade high on the mower?

Threads
Id like something that I put into a Spreader and put it out on the lawn, How high do you guys recommend me to set the blade high on the mower?

How high do you set it now?

Also you could buy this: Scotts Halts Crabgrass Preventer

scotts_halts_crabgrass_preventer_std.jpg

JOE.G

Threads
1.5 to 2 inches, I know it prob is to low.

panabiker

Threads
It's too late for Crabgrass Preventer or other chemicals at this time of the year so don't waste your money now. The good news is that the crabgrass will start to die in mid to late September. They are annual grass but they will leave seeds in the soil. Next spring, you can then apply the Crabgrass Preventer to stop the crabgrass seed from germinating. Cutting the grass higher will help especially in hot weather days.

JOE.G

Threads
Thanks Any brand Killer to reccommend?

possum

Threads
The Scotts is fine. You have to follow a lawncare calendar to use things like crabgrass PREVENTER. It has to go on before the crabgrass can germinate. You cannot seed grass seed and use that preventer as your seed will have trouble germinating. First you really need to thicken your grass.