How to get rid of Crab Grass and Nut Grass? It's taking over my Lawn.

JOE.G

Threads
  • / How to get rid of Crab Grass and Nut Grass? It's taking over my Lawn.
I do regular Fert and Lime in the spring, I may need to stop cutting it so short, I just like the look of a low cut lawn. The problem started when I started to dig up the lawn and then re seeding, I did a lot of drainage work and built some barns and what not which mess up the lawn. Then Iseeded with what ever I could get my hands on, all the seeds said 99 % Weed free.

possum

Threads
Weed seeds can lay in the ground for many years and then germinate when conditions are right. Birds, tires, critters two and four legged, wind, water, seed, all bring weed seeds. If your grass is established crabgrass can be kept down. Cool season grass has a lot of time to grow and get thick while crabgrass is dead and the seed dormant. I do not mind what comes on in August and September as it is gone before long and does green up some bare spots plus give something for the grass seed to bed into.

stygz

Threads
Weed b gone with crabgrass killer for now. In the spring (about end of march) put down halts or other pre emergent. Then put down another application of pre emergent about two months later.

DocZero

Forum Newbie
Threads
There is a product called Image, that you can get at your local CO-OP or places that sale lawn chemicals. It comes in small packets of powder that you mix in water and use in your sprayer. This stuff works very well for both crabgrass and nutsedge. The big downside is it very expensive compared to the amount of area you can cover. The active ingredient in this product provides a much better kill than the old and now not produced active ingredient MSMA. I have a Bermuda yard and I use a crabgrass program of preemergent in the early spring and a post emergent midsummer when the preemergent starts to lose its effectiveness. The increased mowing height will help in the cool season grasses but not in Bermuda. The taller you let burmuda grow the thinner it will become and this will only give more places for the crabgrass and other weeds to take root. So its very important to use the appropriate weed control method for each type of turf. I hope this helps or even makes any sense:)

paul11

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is it a easy way to kill everything and start over, especially if the lawn is rough?

Pumper54

Threads
Is it a easy way to kill everything and start over, especially if the lawn is rough?

Just saw this is a way older post, sorry about that
Paul check out this link as it may help you. It should be noted that his program is in the Texas Gulf coast area so the chemicals and products he talks about may not be the best for your area.
http://www.randylemmon.com/lawns/gardenline-sod.html

Tom

Alaguy

Threads
I think Image is for warm season grasses, I doubt he has that grass in Eastern NY.