Engine Plastic gear on starter stuck on large gear

sillyboy

Threads
Hello all,

I have a 1999 Craftsman, 42" cut, riding mower with a Turbo Cool B and S, 15.5 HP motor. Runs great! When starting the mower to cut grass today, starter made a strange noise, but motor started. When done cutting, cleaned up the mower and deck, then took off the starter cover. The small plastic gear is stuck in the start position and will not retract. I tried to persuade it with a few taps of a hard rubber mallet, but stuck it stayed. Tried to start it with short key turns but nothing doing.

I don't know if the gear was stuck in the start position the whole time I was mowing or not.

I replaced the small plastic gear last year as the former one kinda broke.

Need some advise on what to do here... I bought this rider used about 3-4 years ago. Don't know if the starter is original one.

Thank You for your time.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Turn the engine over by hand clockwise and the gear should fall.

If not take the starter off and see what is holding it.

(( cowboy up and get over it ))

sillyboy

Threads
Turn the engine over by hand clockwise and the gear should fall.

If not take the starter off and see what is holding it.

Will do.

Thanks

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes, and inspect the helix that the gear rides up and down on. If it is chewed up, it will need replaced too. Always use the real Briggs parts,
the aftermarket parts do not hold up well on the starters.

sillyboy

Threads
Yes, and inspect the helix that the gear rides up and down on. If it is chewed up, it will need replaced too. Always use the real Briggs parts,
the aftermarket parts do not hold up well on the starters.

Thank You for the tip. I ordered a new starter as the small plastic gear was gaulded to the helix. The starter I removed would barely turn. It must have been stuck spinning as I was cutting the grass.

Thanks again to all who answered...

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Don't know what you paid for a starter but most napa parts stored keep them in stock for a lot less than a mower shop