Engine Z850A Engine surge and power loss

SalisburySenior

Forum Newbie
Threads
My Z850A mower engine started today to periodically surge, lose power and quit. The problem became more frequent as I continued to mow today. If I noticed the surge starting soon enough and disengaged the mower blades, I sometimes was able to keep the engine running and then after a few minutes the engine would stop surging and I could continue to mow. The problem seemed to always occur when the mower was on a slope and leaning toward the left. Once the engine stops, I have to wait a few minutes before it will start again. It seems to re-start better with a little choke even though the engine is warm. My initial thought was some 'gunk' in the carburetor, so I added some Sea Foam to the gas. That didn't solve the problem. I use pure gas (no ethanol) in the mower. Any ideas on how to solve the problem? The mower has a 31hp Kawasaki engine with a little over 1000 hours.

BMAN1

Forum Newbie
Threads
My Z850A mower engine started today to periodically surge, lose power and quit. The problem became more frequent as I continued to mow today. If I noticed the surge starting soon enough and disengaged the mower blades, I sometimes was able to keep the engine running and then after a few minutes the engine would stop surging and I could continue to mow. The problem seemed to always occur when the mower was on a slope and leaning toward the left. Once the engine stops, I have to wait a few minutes before it will start again. It seems to re-start better with a little choke even though the engine is warm. My initial thought was some 'gunk' in the carburetor, so I added some Sea Foam to the gas. That didn't solve the problem. I use pure gas (no ethanol) in the mower. Any ideas on how to solve the problem? The mower has a 31hp Kawasaki engine with a little over 1000 hours.

I have the same mower with the same problem. I just found out its a defect with the mower from a JD dealer. I've heard that JD knows about the issue and has not recalled the 850a. I've got 250ish hours and only mowed my yard, which has a hill. I get very frustrated with the mower as its my first zero turn and I've never had a problem like this with a regular mower. Have you contacted JD?

SalisburySenior

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the same mower with the same problem. I just found out its a defect with the mower from a JD dealer. I've heard that JD knows about the issue and has not recalled the 850a. I've got 250ish hours and only mowed my yard, which has a hill. I get very frustrated with the mower as its my first zero turn and I've never had a problem like this with a regular mower. Have you contacted JD?

Thanks for the defect information. I haven't contacted JD, but I will and find out about the problem. In my case I may have been lucky. The fuel filter looked suspect, so I changed it out as well as adding some 'Sea Foam' to the gas. The mower seems to be working OK now after about 20 hours of additional use.