Gas leak with new float valve

William

Forum Newbie
Threads
Old John Deere Snowblower, turn gas on, leaks out of carb. Replaced float valve and seat, same problem. The float floats, no gas in it. If I remove bowl and gently hold float up, no flow, all is well:smile:. Attach bowl, turn on gas, leaks out of carb:mad:. I'm ready to replace float on principle but any ideas?

Thanks!

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
You are going to have to remove the carb if you haven't already done so. Check the needle and see if it's damaged. Look at the seat and see if it has some obstruction on it. I would not replace the float, maybe the needle and seat but it's probably an assembly. That's the only way gas could get into and out of the carb. Are you sure it's comming out of the carb?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
If I remove bowl and gently hold float up, no flow, all is well.... any ideas?

Thanks!

Well since you have already Replaced float valve and seat, I think you need to bend the tab on the float to shut off fuel at a lower fuel depth in the bowl ... should work . :smile:KennyV
BTW ... Just noticed it's your first post.. Welcome to a fun and GROWING site....

noma

Threads
Hi William
Welcome to the board hope you enjoy it as much as i have, good luck with the John Deer to. I have a tecumseh engine with the same problem and i will have to try Kenny idea with bending to tab on the float setting and see if that help.thanks:eek:

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
I have moved this thread to the small engine repair forum. :thumbsup:

William

Forum Newbie
Threads
UPDATE: float replaced, set level to be low in bowl. Also made sure new seat was seated properly (wood dowel). Same issue:mad:. Hate to just R&R without explanation but its getting a new carb.

William

Forum Newbie
Threads
Update: new carb cured it. Magnifying glass inspection of the float valve bore showed scratches from previous (and most likely mine) replacements (it dates from the 1970's) that allowed a fuel path around the seat washer. Not worth setting up to polish out for the price of a new carb. The smile you see in the next snowstorm will be mine:biggrin:

Threads
:thumbsup: I agree with Kenny:thumbsup:
Well since you have already Replaced float valve and seat, I think you need to bend the tab on the float to shut off fuel at a lower fuel depth in the bowl ... should work . :smile:KennyV
BTW ... Just noticed it's your first post.. Welcome to a fun and GROWING site....