Engine dies when PTO engaged

Mpodes

Forum Newbie
Threads
Greetings,

I have a Simplicity 1694630 Broadmoor. I replaced the battery this summer because it would not start. The tractor starts and runs fine, throttles up and down well. My problem is when I engage the PTO switch. At that time, the engine shuts down. If I disengage the PTO switch, before the engine stops, it will continue to run.

This happens with the mower deck on as well as off, so there is no load problems with the the deck.

I've check the seat switch, and it appears to be working fine. However, I do not have a wiring manual to check the rest of the electrical system out to see what's happening. Can anyone help?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Greetings,

I have a Simplicity 1694630 Broadmoor. I replaced the battery this summer because it would not start. The tractor starts and runs fine, throttles up and down well. My problem is when I engage the PTO switch. At that time, the engine shuts down. If I disengage the PTO switch, before the engine stops, it will continue to run.

This happens with the mower deck on as well as off, so there is no load problems with the the deck.

I've check the seat switch, and it appears to be working fine. However, I do not have a wiring manual to check the rest of the electrical system out to see what's happening. Can anyone help?
have you tried going to simplicity lawn tractor website, click on support, then manuals, then model 1694630, then operators manual and go to troubleshooting section ? hope this helps you out.

Mpodes

Forum Newbie
Threads
have you tried going to simplicity lawn tractor website, click on support, then manuals, then model 1694630, then operators manual and go to troubleshooting section ? hope this helps you out.

Yeah, the troubleshooting section is less than helpful. What I need is a wiring diagram to check for shorts/opens and bad circuits so I can find the problem. Simplicity doesn't offer that on their site.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yeah, the troubleshooting section is less than helpful. What I need is a wiring diagram to check for shorts/opens and bad circuits so I can find the problem. Simplicity doesn't offer that on their site.

e-mail tech support for schematic, if you have 250 hours or more on 1694630 you need to check air gap at clutch per operators manual page 36 on simplicity's website, scroll down to last english operators manual.

Last edited:

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads

Contacted Briggs & Stratton (Briggs & Stratton owns Simplicity) for wiring diagram for broadmoor tractor, see attached.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Simplicity Broadmoor Wiring Schematic.pdf
    126.4 KB · Views: 56

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads

I'm enclosing wiring schematic for your 1694630.

Attachments

• Wire diagram 1694630.pdf
    134.7 KB · Views: 53

joe post

Forum Newbie
Threads
Greetings,

The problem is with the reverse pedal switch. It is malfunctioning. Most likely it has to be repositioned or the plug into the switch is not fully seated. A way around it is to hold the RMO switch on as you activated the PTO switch. This will allow the PTO to engage and not stall the engine. Realize though that you are set up to mow in reverse. Unless you fix the reverse pedal switch you will always have to activate the RMO before you activate the PTO.