Hydrostatic Transmission

peterbosse

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought an Ariens (made by Husqvarna) 2142 at Home Depot in April. It was (note the word WAS) a 2012 leftover. After 3 month plus 1 week HD got it back ~ H-S transmission was shot. I later found out that "they" have a fundamental problem with that transmission, to the extent that many locals also returned them to place of purchase. I was told by a manager at HD that the local Husky rep, in conversation with the manager admitted that there were problems. Their production line was so backed up that replacement transmissions were back-ordered 2 months out.

"Traded" the thing for a John Deere, which I should have bought in the first place. Hats off to the HD manager who agreed to take it back even though it was beyond their 30-day no questions asked return period.

Anyone out there have the same or similar experience?

~ Peter

andy1949

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought an Ariens (made by Husqvarna) 2142 at Home Depot in April. It was (note the word WAS) a 2012 leftover. After 3 month plus 1 week HD got it back ~ H-S transmission was shot. I later found out that "they" have a fundamental problem with that transmission, to the extent that many locals also returned them to place of purchase. I was told by a manager at HD that the local Husky rep, in conversation with the manager admitted that there were problems. Their production line was so backed up that replacement transmissions were back-ordered 2 months out.

"Traded" the thing for a John Deere, which I should have bought in the first place. Hats off to the HD manager who agreed to take it back even though it was beyond their 30-day no questions asked return period.

Anyone out there have the same or similar experience?

~ Peter

If you got the JD from Home Depot and it is a 100 series it probably has the same transaxle - Tuff Torq K-46. Just sayin' :-(

Last edited:

peterbosse

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you got the JD from Home Depot and it is a 100 series it probably has the same transaxle - Tuff Torq K-46. Just sayin' :-(

Not the same tranny. Hydrostatic and automatic are not the same, though many/most people think that they are. Check this link for explanations. If the transmission has a cooling fan on the top it's definitely hydrostatic. They generate A LOT of heat and can't handle heavy loads or a lot of uphill. That's what the Ariens/Husky uses. If it is factory-sealed and doesn't have a fan it's "automatic" (preferred, imnho). Automatics don't heat up as much and can handle constant uphill way-y-y-y easier than the true hydro. That's one reason why tractors with automatic transmissions are a bit more expensive, i.e. JD and Cub Cadet. But neither the hydro nor the auto type handles ground-engaging implements well if at all (or for very long).

just sayin'......... :)

What You Need To Know - Transmission Types - TodaysMower.com

- peter