grass clipping baler

DRH

Threads
a few years ago I built a baler such as is seen on youtube , a.k.a. "pine straw baler" , the vertical one with manually compressed leverage. It works just fine for baling my grass clippings. I wanted to eliminate the series of manually compressing , so I made up a horizontal baler powered by compressed air.
I used an air cylinder with a 2 inch bore, 24 inch stroke, 5/8 dia rod. I fill my 30 gal. air compressor to 120 p.s.i. and trailer the baler and compressor to the "hay" pile.
I can make up about 16 bales before the compressor drops to about 60 p.s.i. then if I am not done yet I travel it back to an outlet and recharge the compressor. By then I am ready for a break from the routine anyway. this one is sized about the same as my vertical manual one, bales are about 12" x 17" x 24 " . the difference here though is that the front "door" and also the rear wall , are slotted. I could have made it to eject the bale out the end as the next one is forming, but chose to do it this way , making one bale at a time. I can easily push the loading section into the bale section by hand, after a few armloads I simply fill the loading section for the last time and then give it one stroke of compression.
Denny

Attachments

• image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 136
  • image003.jpg
    image003.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 125
  • image004.jpg
    image004.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 84
  • image005.jpg
    image005.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 83
  • image008.jpg
    image008.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 92
  • image010.jpg
    image010.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 93
  • image012.jpg
    image012.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 124

chobbs1957

Threads
a few years ago I built a baler such as is seen on youtube , a.k.a. "pine straw baler" , the vertical one with manually compressed leverage. It works just fine for baling my grass clippings. I wanted to eliminate the series of manually compressing , so I made up a horizontal baler powered by compressed air.
I used an air cylinder with a 2 inch bore, 24 inch stroke, 5/8 dia rod. I fill my 30 gal. air compressor to 120 p.s.i. and trailer the baler and compressor to the "hay" pile.
I can make up about 16 bales before the compressor drops to about 60 p.s.i. then if I am not done yet I travel it back to an outlet and recharge the compressor. By then I am ready for a break from the routine anyway. this one is sized about the same as my vertical manual one, bales are about 12" x 17" x 24 " . the difference here though is that the front "door" and also the rear wall , are slotted. I could have made it to eject the bale out the end as the next one is forming, but chose to do it this way , making one bale at a time. I can easily push the loading section into the bale section by hand, after a few armloads I simply fill the loading section for the last time and then give it one stroke of compression.
Denny

That's KEWL!

Next fix a pick up feed to put grass into it.

Thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

DRH

Threads
then the next would be to make it self propelled ............ I think we're on to something here..

txzrider

Threads
add a little genset to power the compressor... also my motor assy off my cyclone rake would give you a way to suck the grass up and dump it in the device. Of course you cant have my motor assy off my cyclone rake... just sayin'

DRH

Threads
actually I needed to google up cyclone rake to see what one looks like..
that prompted me to add another thread I named lawn vacuum. check it out.
hey now, you've got me thinkin' !

txzrider

Threads
lol... the cool thing about the cyclone rake is the power unit has the suction pump part(for lack of a better way to describe it) attached to it. And it has hoses that attach to and from that part to either suck from the deck or from a long hose and a wand. They make another kit that gives you a hose to spray the grass somewhere else... in any case since the cyclone rake is collapsible the power unit comes off seperately and you can roll it around.

DRH

Threads
sounds like you would be able to suck it from the hopper and blow it across the fenceline or into the woods.
that one is quite versatile, makes mine seem downright primitive.
I guess I would be able to set up a hose and wand to the blower intake of mine, might not be too hard to remove the discharge chute and put on an elbow and blow hose too. hmmm

LarryJohnson

Threads
Denny

Very cool. Do you think a bale of mulched grass would stay together well. I've been considering building a manual baler but was concerned that my mulched grass bale would just fall apart. Too cheap to replace my mulching blades.