TimeMaster Transmission Problem

Nebraskahockey

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Toro TimeMaster, model 20199 that I bought used and having some problems with the transmission. Not sure if this is specific to the TimeMaster or just the Toro personal pace system. I have replaced the drive belt and adjusted the cable numerous times. The problem is, when I fully push down on the self propell the mower is slow to build speed. On pavement, fully engaged the tires won't spin, it won't pull away hard, it slowly builds power and tries and pull, but no real power. Basically a 3 yr old could withstand the pulling power of the mower on concrete. If I start to push a little it will get up to full speed, but has no initial torque. I'm used to old toro 3 speed transmission where when you pull the handle the tires spin and the mower takes off. I'm really unfamiliar with the personal pace and would appreciate if anyone had any ideas or has ran into this problem before.

Thanks,

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a Toro TimeMaster, model 20199 that I bought used and having some problems with the transmission. Not sure if this is specific to the TimeMaster or just the Toro personal pace system. I have replaced the drive belt and adjusted the cable numerous times. The problem is, when I fully push down on the self propell the mower is slow to build speed. On pavement, fully engaged the tires won't spin, it won't pull away hard, it slowly builds power and tries and pull, but no real power. Basically a 3 yr old could withstand the pulling power of the mower on concrete. If I start to push a little it will get up to full speed, but has no initial torque. I'm used to old toro 3 speed transmission where when you pull the handle the tires spin and the mower takes off. I'm really unfamiliar with the personal pace and would appreciate if anyone had any ideas or has ran into this problem before.

Thanks,

My personal pace being broken as it is the way its designed is for you to push the mower it the matches your speed

Nebraskahockey

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes, but my understanding is, if I have the personal pace bar pushed all the way down, so the transmission is fully engaged, shouldn't the mower take off while sitting on a driveway, rather than sit still until I start pushing. The TimeMaster has what they call a traction handle, so you can fully depress the personal pace lever without actually having to lean into the mower. I think perhaps it has something to do with the clutch in the transmission?

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes, but my understanding is, if I have the personal pace bar pushed all the way down, so the transmission is fully engaged, shouldn't the mower take off while sitting on a driveway, rather than sit still until I start pushing. The TimeMaster has what they call a traction handle, so you can fully depress the personal pace lever without actually having to lean into the mower. I think perhaps it has something to do with the clutch in the transmission?

Ya it definately doesn't sound right

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

Set your Timemaster on it's side with the Air filter up and look above the transmission at the drive belt and see if it's tight, Make sure the spring from the Transmission to the frame is hooked. If the belt is not tight replace the spring and drive belt and that should fix your problem.

Nebraskahockey

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ric, thanks for the post. I have replaced the drive belt but perhaps you can provide some additional guidance. The spring is hooked from the transmission to the deck thereby creating tension, but if I crawl underneath the mower I can pinch the belt together with one hand. There is some resistance, but it's not tight like an automotive engine belt or like the three speed toro transmissions when fully engaged. How tight should the belt be? Obviously the self propel cable doesn't have any affect on the belt tension so I would need to adjust or replace the spring to improve the tension?

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ric, thanks for the post. I have replaced the drive belt but perhaps you can provide some additional guidance. The spring is hooked from the transmission to the deck thereby creating tension, but if I crawl underneath the mower I can pinch the belt together with one hand. There is some resistance, but it's not tight like an automotive engine belt or like the three speed toro transmissions when fully engaged. How tight should the belt be? Obviously the self propel cable doesn't have any affect on the belt tension so I would need to adjust or replace the spring to improve the tension?

When you engage the transmission it pulls the whole transmission assembly thereby tightening the belt see if you can have someone engage the transmission while you look and see how tight the belt is with it engaged

Nebraskahockey

Forum Newbie
Threads
Actually that is not how this transmission works, that is how the Toro transmissions I've used in the past worked. With the TimeMaster, engaging the transmission actually engages something behind the transmission that thereby engages the drive. The cable system has no affect on the tightening of the belt, I've even clamped the personal pace fully engaged to verify it has no affect on the belt tension.

Last edited:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
When you engage the transmission it pulls the whole transmission assembly thereby tightening the belt see if you can have someone engage the transmission while you look and see how tight the belt is with it engaged

Actually that is not how this transmission works, that how the Toro transmissions I've used in the past work. With the TimeMaster, engaging the transmission actually engages something behind the transmission that thereby engages the drive. The cable system has no affect on the tightening of the belt, I've even clamped the personal pace fully engaged to verify it has no affect on the belt tension.

The spring is suppose to keep tension on the transmission to keep the belt tight. The transmission shouldn't be moving, removing the tension spring allows the transmission to rotate so you can replace the belt. Is your tab in position to keep the trans from rotating? The cable system affects the BBC to engage the blades. Your belt should come from the transmission to the bottom pulley, your BBC belt comes from the top pulley to the brake drum pulley. There should be a cable to adjust your self propelled and you should be able to increase or decrease for the speed you want or the speed of the mower you want when fully engaged. It should be on the mower handle, loosen the nut and you move it forward or backward to adjust the drive. if that doesn't work and If your drive belt is loose I'd get a new belt and new tension spring.

You shouldn't be able to pinch that belt together, if your doing that you have the wrong belt.

Nebraskahockey

Forum Newbie
Threads
The belt number matched the belt I took off the mower, I'll have to take a closer look at that spring and determine if its wore or if I botched something when reinstalling. There is some tension on the belt, but if I squeeze hard enough I can get the insides to touch. Thanks for the help.