TimeMaster Transmission Problem

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
The belt number matched the belt I took off the mower, I'll have to take a closer look at that spring and determine if its wore or if I botched something when reinstalling. There is some tension on the belt, but if I squeeze hard enough I can get the insides to touch. Thanks for the help.

I do know that when you start replacing belts you have to adjust the cables, so just a word of warning don't adjust that cable to tight or you will probably pop the end off. start the procedure with the cable lose and adjust a little bit at a time until you get the thing where you want.

mgplencia

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Toro TimeMaster, model 20199 that I bought used and having some problems with the transmission. Not sure if this is specific to the TimeMaster or just the Toro personal pace system. I have replaced the drive belt and adjusted the cable numerous times. The problem is, when I fully push down on the self propell the mower is slow to build speed. On pavement, fully engaged the tires won't spin, it won't pull away hard, it slowly builds power and tries and pull, but no real power. Basically a 3 yr old could withstand the pulling power of the mower on concrete. If I start to push a little it will get up to full speed, but has no initial torque. I'm used to old toro 3 speed transmission where when you pull the handle the tires spin and the mower takes off. I'm really unfamiliar with the personal pace and would appreciate if anyone had any ideas or has ran into this problem before.

Thanks,

I just purchased a TimeMaster 30' last weekend, and on Monday it worked great, but on Tuesday I feel that it's not pulling hard. Should there be a noticeable amount of torque when the personal pace bar is pushed all the way down?

Thank you for any comments.

piccolo217

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes, but my understanding is, if I have the personal pace bar pushed all the way down, so the transmission is fully engaged, shouldn't the mower take off while sitting on a driveway, rather than sit still until I start pushing. The TimeMaster has what they call a traction handle, so you can fully depress the personal pace lever without actually having to lean into the mower. I think perhaps it has something to do with the clutch in the transmission?

you can try one of two things...loosen the nut that attaches the on/off button housing and pull the traction cable downwards towards the mower, hold it there and re-tighten the nut. If that doesn't fix it, if you look under the personal pace control bar (where your hold the mower) there's a black cylinder piece that the traction cable attaches to. That piece will have to be replaced as it has probably worn out on the inside. it's slotted on the inside to fit onto the grooves on the gold bar running underneath the handle. once it wears out it wont rotate when you depress the pace bar. I've had five of those but switched to the Exmark Commercial 30 this season.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Piccolo, do you realize that this thread is over two years old and I doubt the posters are still in need of help.

BigO23

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Toro TimeMaster, model 20199 that I bought used and having some problems with the transmission. Not sure if this is specific to the TimeMaster or just the Toro personal pace system. I have replaced the drive belt and adjusted the cable numerous times. The problem is, when I fully push down on the self propell the mower is slow to build speed. On pavement, fully engaged the tires won't spin, it won't pull away hard, it slowly builds power and tries and pull, but no real power. Basically a 3 yr old could withstand the pulling power of the mower on concrete. If I start to push a little it will get up to full speed, but has no initial torque. I'm used to old toro 3 speed transmission where when you pull the handle the tires spin and the mower takes off. I'm really unfamiliar with the personal pace and would appreciate if anyone had any ideas or has ran into this problem before.

Thanks,

I had the same issue. There are two springs in the transmission housing. One in the back and one in the front. The front spring puts the tension on the drive belt. My front spring had fallen off and was missing. The part is called an extension spring only around $5.00. Replace your drive belt and make sure both springs are on the transmission. Also adjust the cable.

midnitelamp

Forum Newbie
Threads
Piccolo, do you realize that this thread is over two years old and I doubt the posters are still in need of help.

what difference would it make if the thread was twenty years old? I searched for an answer to this same problem and found it here.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
what difference would it make if the thread was twenty years old? I searched for an answer to this same problem and found it here.

The difference is the regulars here tend to ignore the old threads. Sometimes information changes or gets updated within the same model, so it preferred that people start a new thread if they have a question. At this point this thread is 6 years old, and the person that you quoted posted 3 years ago.