One drive wheel doesn't drive--Toro 22" Recycler

ptownnative

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all,

So, my 22" Toro Recycler mower, model # 20334, has lost power to one wheel, the left side. This thing is rear wheel drive; if I lift the mower off the rear wheels, and engage the throttle, both wheels still spin. However, as soon as it is on the ground, it makes a terrible grinding noise and only the right wheel drives the machine forward. Any ideas what the problem might be? Thanks in advance!

Tony

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Take the wheel off and look at the gear on the wheel. Bet it may be stripped.

ptownnative

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey, thanks Rivets... I will give it a shot and see how it looks. Thanks for the response!

Tony

ptownnative

Forum Newbie
Threads
That was in fact the problem... the gear on the wheel is stripped to hell. The thing is, I brought it in last summer to have the same problem looked at, and they replaced the wheel... and then it stripped again, in no time. I ordered a new wheel, and a replacement sprocket, hoping that will fix the problem; the sprocket looks unevenly worn compared to the "good" side. Thoughts? Thanks.

Tony

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
You need to make sure there is no slop on the shaft bearing which will cause the gear not to fully mesh with the wheel gear, that is likely the problem, and one that the first shop should have fixed in the first place, which would be #10 in the pic.

Attachments

• toro.gif
    toro.gif
    48.9 KB · Views: 87

ptownnative

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, Fish, I'll check that out too.

ptownnative

Forum Newbie
Threads
So, I got my new parts in today, which included a new wheel and a new 12 tooth gear. I was able to take it apart and put it back together, and it drives okay. BUT... I noticed when I was trying to pull it backwards that the wheel didn't turn. So I took it apart again, this time assembling without the wheel covers, so I could see what was going on. It appears that the gears don't quite mesh properly, and that every once in a while they line up just wrong and the wheel stops turning--or, in the case of it moving forward, the metal gear just rips the top off the plastic gear. I can't for the life of me figure out why this is happening, and only on the one side; I compared the two sides, and I can't see any difference. I took a video of the gears jamming, but I don't know if it is clear enough. Thanks for the help!

Fish, I wonder if this is related to what you were saying? I don't see anything wrong with that piece, but maybe it is something a visual inspection won't show?

I wonder if something got bent? My neighbor borrowed it last year, and that's when the problems started.

Tony

Attachments

• VID_20130806_5707.zip
    5 MB · Views: 40

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am not real familiar with the model you have, but when you have the wheel off, the drive gear should rotate and click in one direction, and lock when trying to turn in the other, from your video, that doesn't look to be the case.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not being able to pull the mower back is caused by either having the cable too tight or the gear not meshing. As Fish said check to see if you have pay between the wheel and the axle bolt. Bolt may be worn causing the problem.

ptownnative

Forum Newbie
Threads
Not being able to pull the mower back is caused by either having the cable too tight or the gear not meshing. As Fish said check to see if you have pay between the wheel and the axle bolt. Bolt may be worn causing the problem.

I did try loosening the cable, but that didn't seem to be the issue. The problem is definitely the gears not meshing properly. When you say "play between the wheel and the axle bolt," in which direction do you mean? It definitely moves horizontally (in the direction of the axle) quite a bit; I will shoot another video later this afternoon in order to show what I mean. Thanks for the help!

Tony