Speed Feed Head On a Stihl

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Does it make it much harder to get the string out?

It makes it so you have to hit the head on the ground to get the string to come out.

I take the guard off mine so there is nothing to cut the line. The head is so sensitive every time it comes close to the ground line comes out.
Put the washer in and you have to bump it on the ground

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
It makes it so you have to hit the head on the ground to get the string to come out.

I take the guard off mine so there is nothing to cut the line. The head is so sensitive every time it comes close to the ground line comes out.
Put the washer in and you have to bump it on the ground

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

Ill definately try it out I keep the guard on but the line pointlessly comes out a lot.

Mike88se

Threads
I hope to like mine when it gets here. I finally got disgusted with the original head. I can't tell when it's low on line and don't see much advantage in that anyway... and it always seems to run out of line at the worst possible time. Winding new line on it is not that big a deal but getting the spool on and feeding the new line through the holes when you're in a hurry just got to be too much of a pain. I'm glad I read the tip about using a washer.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I just keep replacement line spools. I spool line at night after I'm done working and keep two full spools in the tool box and when I run out of trimmer line I just replace the whole spool, it only take a few seconds. It's faster than re-spooling line in the field and wasting time with there speed feed heads that don't work but half the time and it's cheaper.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I just keep replacement line spools. I spool line at night after I'm done working and keep two full spools in the tool box and when I run out of trimmer line I just replace the whole spool, it only take a few seconds. It's faster than re-spooling line in the field and wasting time with there speed feed heads that don't work but half the time and it's cheaper.

I agree. I just change the spool.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I carry extra string in my pocket the speed feed is not tbe fastest but it works great for me. It is annoying to re feed in the middle of a yard but at least I don't need to walk all the way back to the truck. And it always runs out when you are the furthest from your truck.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I carry extra string in my pocket the speed feed is not tbe fastest but it works great for me. It is annoying to re feed in the middle of a yard but at least I don't need to walk all the way back to the truck. And it always runs out when you are the furthest from your truck.

Walking all the way back to the truck, you make it sound like your walking miles to get back to the trailer. I had one of those speed feed heads on my Echo and I run them on both of the Stihls and there more of a pita than anything else. Even going back to the truck is still faster than using a speed feed head. The thing is going back to the truck is something you do routinely any way and if that is an extra step you don't care to take you could always figure someway to take the spool with you.

Threads
Walking all the way back to the truck, you make it sound like your walking miles to get back to the trailer. I had one of those speed feed heads on my Echo and I run them on both of the Stihls and there more of a pita than anything else. Even going back to the truck is still faster than using a speed feed head. The thing is going back to the truck is something you do routinely any way and if that is an extra step you don't care to take you could always figure someway to take the spool with you.

For me the fastest option IS the Speed Feed head. And, I carry pre-cut (around 8 ft. long) loops of trimmer line attached to my trimmer so whenever I run out I have lots with me. :thumbsup:

lealowe

Forum Newbie
Threads
A friend is looking to buy one for his Sthil.I have one for my Shindawa and love it.

Subdivisionbigdog

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just bought my stihl fs94r a month ago or so. The first thing I did was install the 400 speed head. So far I really like it.