Smokes, Squeals and Dies

jet62095

Threads
I have a 68 Cub Cadet 125. I'm trying to use it as a snowblower tractor. It has low compression, I removed the head and there are no visible signs of damage. I try to start it and it backfires out of the carb. Once started it will run just fine. If I put load on it, it will squeal and white smoke will come out of the breather cover and the motor will eventually overheat and shut off or squeal and die. I originally thought this was oil burning, but that is not the case. The oil remains clean the entire time. I am starting to think it is a bad piston, but have heard that it may also be a bad head gasket or exhaust valve. I'm not sure.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a 68 Cub Cadet 125. I'm trying to use it as a snowblower tractor. It has low compression, I removed the head and there are no visible signs of damage. I try to start it and it backfires out of the carb. Once started it will run just fine. If I put load on it, it will squeal and white smoke will come out of the breather cover and the motor will eventually overheat and shut off or squeal and die. I originally thought this was oil burning, but that is not the case. The oil remains clean the entire time. I am starting to think it is a bad piston, but have heard that it may also be a bad head gasket or exhaust valve. I'm not sure.

I would guess main or rod bearing. What do you consider low compression? Either way it doesn't sound good. You need to decide if it's worth disassembling. Look for other problems that would prohibit the cost of rebuilding the engine.