Riding Mower blows fuse continuously

173abn

Threads
jross,that's what it sounds like to me also.check your wires for bare spots. russ

Rickpoolman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi David,

If I owned that mower, I would be looking for a short circuit in the electrical wiring to the frame of the mower. It is usually a black or red wire. Look for a place where the plastic coating is worn down to the copper and rubbing on the frame. It may be a pinched wire under the seat.

The noise you hear near the carb is a fuel solonoid that get pulled open when the key is turned on to let fuel through the carb. That sounds okay.

Rick

jd335

Threads
i have seen this several times and most time it is the wires going to the amp gauge or the guage it's self

ravenswift

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the same problem (for the most part). John Deere G110. About an hour ago i went out to hook up the snow plow to the mower. but i knew it wouldn't start. so i pulled it out to see if i could find the problem. fuse is blown. so i get another to replace it. as soon as i put the fuse in and turn the key to just the run setting it hear a click and the fuse blows.... i did a few days ago discover that the cables to the lights had been melted and there is wire exposed....however, they are not touching anything....what do i do?

60f500

Forum Newbie
Threads
Did you ever fix your mower? This is the same identical problem I am having with my Scotts mower with a 17.5 Kohler engine.

I have checked thoroughly for a shorted wire. I pulled the flywheel off and checked the armature for damage and it is fine. Measures about .3ohms so no excessive resistance. Not sure if this is a good spec or not. I have had one of these before that the magnets came off of the flywheel and ate up the armature.

Regulator has high resistance, in k ohms range between all poles and ground.

Does not blow fuse with regulator unplugged but does not charge battery. (Duh)

With regulator plugged in it charges 13.5v and blows the fuse in approx 10 seconds. The fuse in 15a, does not blow a 20a fuse but it does get hot, and it does charge that battery.

Thoughts? Does anyone have regulator or armature specs?

Thanks for the help

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
With regulator plugged in it charges 13.5v and blows the fuse in approx 10 seconds. The fuse in 15a, does not blow a 20a fuse but it does get hot, and it does charge that battery.

It sounds like part of your rectifier is shorted... you are charging your battery with AC voltage. Not Good. It will cook your battery.
Check the rectifier. :smile:KennyV