Lawn care

TDog225

Forum Newbie
Threads
I recently built a home about a year ago and my yard is the worst looking yard in the neighborhood. it really takes away from a beautiful home. It's like I have dead spots in my yard. A friend of mine told me during the spring to plant rye grass because it doesn't take long to grow. I ask my friend if it was anything special I needed to do and he said just water it some. I ask was it anything I needed to do to the soil before I plant it, he said no. At first, it started off good, but it was spring and I stay in Louisiana. Now, it looks horrible. Louisiana heat and no rain for days has really done damage to it. I tried putting down some fertilizer a couple months ago but it's still a mess. I was wondering if anyone can give me some insight on how I can turn my lawn around. I'm helplessly in need of some insight.

Thanks!

LawnBoy97

Threads
I'm sure others with more knowledge will chime in here, but we recently did some work on our lawn, and after getting a load of top soil, fertilizing with Milorganite, laying down some seed, and then spreading straw and watering, we now have a green lawn. I did get a bit lax with the watering, though, and it has left a lot to be desired. I guess that is the thing, make sure you water. I doubt that the fertilizer will help much, but you might want to just make sure you water regularly, and then try and plant some more grass later to fill in any gaps, but that's just my "2 cents."

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
First thing is smack your buddy.

Rye is what you plant in the fall so your yard is green in the winter it dies off in the spring as it gets hotter out. It does not like the sun or the heat.

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
What kind of grass did you plant to start off with or what was there before you built your house?

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

possum

Threads
Go to your neighbors and ask what kind of grass they have. Go to a golf course and talk with folks there about the grass there. Go to any public place and find out who does their lawn care, talk to them. Your state university has a great deal of information on lawns in your state. From what I gather warm season grass is the norm. But even warm season grass is going to need watering to get established.

TDog225

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks to everyone who replied to my thread. I appreciate the info. I guess I'll have to do some research on what's best for the southern region. If anyone out there has more info, it would be greatly appreciated. My lawn is a disaster.

Thanks!

Threads
I too face such problem when I shifted in my home few years ago, I did not have any idea to shape my home lawn and I was very disappointed due to this because I had no idea to make my lawn beautiful, then someone suggested me to plant Rye grass with crouton plants, as rye grass give beautiful green look at winter and spring season but get dried in summer season at that time crouton plants helps to keep my lawn green as they do not get affected by heat or high temperature it can servive in low water area also,so I would like to suggest you to plant such types of plants too with grass and regularly trimout your grass.

Mike88se

Threads
I'm in Houston so you're not too far from me. Carscw pegged it as far as our area. Rye is winter grass tho we don't have much of a winter. I've seen some really pretty rye but it doesn't last. St Augustine is the favorite grass here by far. Slows way down in the winter months but doesn't usually die. Comes back strong in the spring. You won't get anywhere by planting seed though. Have to get it in sod form. It's sold here by the pallet for $100 to $150. A pallet covers about 450 sq ft. Pretty easy to take care of. I think it does okay in partial shade but likes the sun. You don't want to cut it too short. You could lay some down now if you want. I like to till and level the soil before I lay the grass down. Water every day the first 2 or 3 weeks. Don't cut it too short. Most of the lawn guys around here cut it real short. I think it looks kinda funky that way and requires more water. Like the other guys said tho, do some research to find out what you like, what grows best in your soil, and go for it.
Ah... just realized I'm replying to a 4 month old thread :frown: