New member with issues on a ZTS 7500 50" 26 hp

tzc123

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi guys,
New to the forum but a long time grass cutter...
I have a ZTS 7500 with a 50" deck and the 26 HP engine and the stupid thing won't start.
At first it would turn over but no fire.
Then it stopped turning over completely.
I muttered a few words and......
New starter solenoid.
New safety switches all around.
New ignition switch.
The new ignition switch said I have to rewire to fit my particular model...
Still nothing.
When voltage is applied directly to starter Bendix engages and starter spins great. Starter is good.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I just cut the tip of my finger off working on this stupid thing and now I have to beat this machine.
I do know that when the ignition is in the start position I have current going through the solenoid and to the starter but still will not turn over.
Battery is at 12.5 volts.
Thanks.
T

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
tzc, we feel your pain. Due respect to you, but carefully review the troubleshoot charts in this forum, and try every step. Then let use know.:thumbsup:

tzc123

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am sorry to be such a NEWB. I have tried to use your search feature and my old tired eyes do not see any links...
What 'Trouble Shooting Charts' ?
I am pretty good with engines, rebuilt a 'stang on my back porch. Have been working with combustion engines since I was a wee lad..
I am pretty good with mechanical and moderate with electrical trouble shooting.
I was curious if there was any known issue I should maybe look at first.
TZC

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
tzc, roger, but there are peculiarities accross the lawnmower mix. There are people on this forum familiar and good trouble shooters with all of them (not me). When I directed you to "the charts" it was a mistake, but try at the top of the various forum topics where the administrators have put statements like "tell us your problems," etc . There are formats which I have seen many times on this forum which take a person through steps. I am perhaps like you in background,but the steps I have seen are good. Try rewording your search words and good luck soon.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
LawnRanger and I put together this troubleshooting procedure for tractors, but with a few changes works on Z's also.

Electrical* problems can be very easy or very difficult, depending on four things.
1. * How well you understand basic electricity.
2. *What tools you have and know how to use.
3. *How well you follow directions.
4. *You don't overlook or assume anything and verify everything.

Remember we cannot see what you are doing. *You are our eyes, ears and fingers in solving this problem. *You must be as accurate as you can when you report back. *The two basic tools we will ask you to use are a test light and a multi-meter. *If you have an assistant when going through these tests it would be very helpful. *These steps work the best when done in order, so please don't jump around. *Now let's solve this problem.

First, check the fuse(s), check battery connections for corrosion (clean if necessary) and *voltage - above 12.5 volts should be good.*

Second, check for power from the battery to one of the large terminals on the solenoid. *One of the wires is connected directly to the battery and has power all the time so one of the large terminals should light a test light or show 12 volts on a meter at all times.*

Third, *check for power at the small terminal of the solenoid while depressing the clutch/brake pedal and holding the key in the start position (you may need an assistant to sit in the seat to override the safety switch). If your solenoid is a four wire solenoid, check both small wire terminals as one is ground and the other is power from the ignition switch. *If your solenoid is a three wire solenoid, make sure the solenoid body is not corroded where it bolts to the chassis of the mower as this is your ground path back to the battery. *If in doubt, remove the solenoid and clean the mounting area down to bare metal. *If there is no power to the small terminal then your problem is most likely a safety switch, ignition switch or in the wiring.*

Fourth, check for power on the other large terminal of the solenoid while holding the key in the start position (you may need an assistant to sit in the seat to override the safety switch). *If you have power what is the voltage?

Fifth, check for power at the starter while holding the key in the start position (assistant again). *If you have power what is the voltage?

Sixth, check your ground circuit back to the battery.

After you have gone through each of the above steps, let us know what happened when you did each step. *At that point we will have great info to tell you how to proceed. *Remember you are our eyes, ears, and fingers, so please be as accurate as possible.

Be as specific as possible with voltage readings as this will help diagnose your problem quicker. *If you do not know how to perform the above checks, just ask and I will try to guide you through it. *Youtube also has some videos and as you know a picture is worth a thousand words.

tzc123

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for some of the guidance.
At this point in time I replaced all safety switches, circuit breaker, starter solenoid and ignition switch.
I am checking continuity at this time trying to trace wires and switches.
I have power to ignition, power to line leading to solenoid which activates starter.
Starter spins when directly connect to a power source.
I am trying to figure out exactly how the safety switches switch.
I know that if everything is in correct position a circuit is made and magic happens.
The two things I am trying to wrap my head around is the fact that is switch is in wrong mode a different circuit is made. I am trying to figure out how the 'unsafe circuit' does not allow starting. I see how the 'unsafe circuit' does not allow contact to be made with starter but what does the other circuit do?
I am going to redraw the electrical diagram I have in a flow chart style and try to make sense of it that way.
I do kinda know what I am doing but I am curious if there is a common ISSUE that pops up on this type of mower.
I will post any progress that I make and would appreciate any feedback...
I will be glad to fix this issue and move onto my Lawn General Snowplow conversion project...
:smile:
Thanks,
T

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
regarding schematic safety...never looked but do you have the usual? safety switch inhibiting start with blade clutch button on. Must push this button off on mine to engage starter.

tzc123

Forum Newbie
Threads
Got the blade safety switch, seat switch, and right and left controller switches.
I just can't figure out ( according to schematic) how they all work together..
I have started tracing and testing wires so far.
Battery - switch- solenoid - starter.
I have a circuit ( at least on the hot side )
Do the safety switches break the ground connections ?
If the ground circuit gets broken some of the things would make a little more sense...

tzc123

Forum Newbie
Threads
Desperate fix I think.
Between all the safeties and the motor(engine) the is a 6 prong connector with 3 leads, all of them hot.
What would happen if I were to leave the ignition switch with just 3 wires connected, hot, ground and the blue starter wire and connect the Engine connector straight to the circuit breaker connection coming off of the battery.
Bypass all the safeties and run power to the engine, get it running first and then slowly reconnect the safeties until I find the one that is giving me problems.
Mechanically and electrically, would this work ? Or is there a risk of burning up wires or circuits in the engine?
Temporary, I know not wise from a safety stand point and I also know the clutch would not engage on the blade.
Thanks,
T

tzc123

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sorry I have not gotten back to thank ya'll for the help but my boss wants me to make him money before I work on my little toys at home.
(means, still broken...)
I did try something super smart and toasted part of the wiring harness on the motor.
I have a new one on order but back order stock and I would like to get what I have working until the replacement part get here.
This is the issue this week.
Engine side wiring harness. The middle wire that splits in 2 and goes to each coil. Right where the wire splits into 2 black wires there were /( is ) two little components. Can anyone tell me what they were/are. They look like diodes in one photo and in another they look like resistors. Does anyone have one they could look at and let me know?
Or does anyone have a electrical diagram that shows the components? The wiring diagram only shows a split but does not give any details.
Thanks in advance for your time.
I can tell you that at 15 feet away you can hear this part sizzle before it disintegrates...:frown:

http://s.sears.com/is/image/Sears/PD_0071_500_696576?op_sharpen=1&qlt=100
Sorry, this is a picture of the harness.

Last edited: