Mower deck Hose connector for deck cleanout?

Slobcat

Threads
The deck clean-out hose port on my deck does seem to be very effective, or at least I don't see much water and/or debris spraying out of the grass chute.

After running the blades for a minute, the area on the ground in the exit path of the chute is barely damp, so I was wondering if the hose port is malfunctioning.
I have 85PSI on a 3/4" ID hose connected to it and I do see some water coming from under the deck on the left-hand side when hose is attached and water is turned on, but little is getting blown over to the chute with the blades spinning.

If never seen the JD clean-out system in operation, so I don't know what is normal and what isn't.

JSB33

Threads
On my Cub, I get a pretty healthy spray of water coming out the discharge shoot. I would say it comes out 1.5 feet.

BBO

Threads
The deck clean-out hose port on my deck does seem to be very effective.

They get clogged up with grass if you do not use it often.

Slobcat

Threads
I found a small rat-tail file fit through the side holes in the hose port and widened them some.
Now I'm getting some water being sprayed out of chute, and ran for five minutes, but not much debris came out.
It looks like I'll have to jack it up and use a power washer to get it clean, and then see how well it works with the enhanced water flow.

BBO

Threads
It looks like I'll have to jack it up and use a power washer to get it clean.

And/or take the fitting out to clean it to see if it needs replacing.
Small sticks & rocks will plug or damage these.

Slobcat

Threads
Thanks, I'll do that.

After "adjusting" the holes with a file, I tossed a nutdriver and a piece of stiff wire in the storage compartment for that purpose.

Hopefully, after I get the underside of the deck clean with a power washer, just using the hose port will keep it that way.

I turned 70 a few months back, so rolling around on the ground isn't very high on the list of things I like to do. :wink:

JSB33

Threads
I wanted so see how good a job the port wash was doing and all in all, I would have to say its worthless. It did remove some grass as evidenced by what came out of the chute with the water but evidently not very much.
After letting everything dry over night, i jacked up the tractor to have a look see under the deck. I ended up scraping a pile of dead rotting grass that when bagged up, was about the size of a football. I won't be wasting the time to use the port anymore.

ppearce43

Forum Newbie
Threads
I wanted so see how good a job the port wash was doing and all in all, I would have to say its worthless. It did remove some grass as evidenced by what came out of the chute with the water but evidently not very much.
After letting everything dry over night, i jacked up the tractor to have a look see under the deck. I ended up scraping a pile of dead rotting grass that when bagged up, was about the size of a football. I won't be wasting the time to use the port anymore.

Did you try lowering the deck all the way, or nearly all the way? I get a fine spray @ a setting of 3, but when I push it all the way down, clumps of stuff start coming out. I change it up and down several times during a 3-5 minute cycle. Looked under the deck today and it was 95% clean.

JSB33

Threads
Did you try lowering the deck all the way, or nearly all the way? I get a fine spray @ a setting of 3, but when I push it all the way down, clumps of stuff start coming out. I change it up and down several times during a 3-5 minute cycle. Looked under the deck today and it was 95% clean.

I did drop the deck down but I did not change its height during the process. I am glad you had such a good result, happy that this works for some people as it sure didn't work for me :laughing:

BBO

Threads
I did drop the deck down but I did not change its height during the process.

I suppose the up and down motion tends to "shake" some grass loose and is probably a good idea.
A mower will sure but better if you keep the buildup underneath clean, and mowing wet grass will clump up everywhere.
The deck needs that air flow to suck the grass up and whack it off level.

If you want to get serious about cleaning underneath, get you one of these.
Mower Lifts Hand Trucks Lawn Mower Jacks - MoJack-The MoJack