Toro 6.5 GTS Won't Keep Running

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
As soon as it shuts off test for spark.

This does not mean wait for it to shut off then go look for your tools.

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

tybilly

Threads
thacman I was the new guy,and that stupid little hole in that bowl screw cost our shop a customer...ive never made that mistake again..lol...but I think he needs to buy a spark tester and watch the spark at the time it dies.

DatacomGuy

Forum Newbie
Threads
As soon as it shuts off test for spark.

This does not mean wait for it to shut off then go look for your tools.

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

Apologies for the delay.. I checked this a few weeks ago but have been SO busy haven't been able to come back and update.

So i immediately unscrewed spark plug, grounded it on the chassis (and tried the block too) and no spark at all.

What should i check next?

tuit

Forum Newbie
Threads
I didn't think I had spark either, I couldn't see the plug spark arch and get a good pull at the same time. I have a good heart or at least think I do. I just bit the bullet, as soon as it died I removed the plug and slid spark plug cover back so I could hold the end of the coil wire then short pulled the rope to see if it was producing any kind of voltage. Didn't take much of a pull to feel I was producing a weak spark, I was expecting a arm jerking spark. Went to the mower shop to get a new coil and a plug. The mechanic/parts/owner told me that he doesn't see many bad coils and doesn't replace but maybe one coil a year. Also told me that the coil doesn't produce a hot spark until about 1700 rpm. I went ahead and bought the new coil and spark plug then also picked up a carb kit while I was there. Sure enough he was correct, new coil didn't help change anything. After taking carb off several times and cleaning, finally replaced needle and seat that came with the carb kit. That fixed my dying problem. I would think that the vibration of a single cylinder would shake the needle loose from the rubber seat if it stuck closed, but mine didn't.

DatacomGuy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I didn't think I had spark either, I couldn't see the plug spark arch and get a good pull at the same time. I have a good heart or at least think I do. I just bit the bullet, as soon as it died I removed the plug and slid spark plug cover back so I could hold the end of the coil wire then short pulled the rope to see if it was producing any kind of voltage. Didn't take much of a pull to feel I was producing a weak spark, I was expecting a arm jerking spark. Went to the mower shop to get a new coil and a plug. The mechanic/parts/owner told me that he doesn't see many bad coils and doesn't replace but maybe one coil a year. Also told me that the coil doesn't produce a hot spark until about 1700 rpm. I went ahead and bought the new coil and spark plug then also picked up a carb kit while I was there. Sure enough he was correct, new coil didn't help change anything. After taking carb off several times and cleaning, finally replaced needle and seat that came with the carb kit. That fixed my dying problem. I would think that the vibration of a single cylinder would shake the needle loose from the rubber seat if it stuck closed, but mine didn't.

Sounds good. I'll give this a try.