05' MTD Yard Machine drive belt replacement

dakotanut

Threads
I'm looking for something or somebody to show/tell me how to replace the drive belt that goes from the motor to the transaxle. I did find the owners manual and it says to take it to a shop. Shop is to far and I don't think that the law would appreciate it very much me driving it down the highway. It would use a ton of gas and won't keep up with traffic. LOL. Thanks.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Post the model numbers off of the label under/behind the seat, and I can give you specific instructions, thanks

Fish

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
You need to replace both belts for the drive. If you only replace one you won't have all your speeds.

Changing the two belts is not fun the first time.
If you like I can post a video in how to do it when I get home.

(( cowboy up and get over it ))

dakotanut

Threads
Sorry it's been so long. I would like the video. Found bearings bad also on one of the pulleys. Luckily the small engine repair shop had them.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I replaced ALL those belts on my Murray 21HP 46" cut a few years back, took a bunch of pics which is located in the ALBUMS sections of THIS SITE ; search the named albums labeled ( "My Project" ) be sure it's the Boobala Albums, there are others named (my project.)

dakotanut

Threads
Found them but, sorry to say it's different then mine. I don't have all of those pulleys.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Found them but, sorry to say it's different then mine. I don't have all of those pulleys.

Still need your machines numbers, (should be located under the seat), or on some, the very rear frame panel.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That is why we asked for the model number from the tag under the seat.
You could have
1) variable speed pulley system ( 3 variations of this )
2) Hydro pump & motor with a manual transaxle
3) full manual gearbox
4) Strait out Hydro drive
All of these have different belt routing
You might like to download the 2000 manual from here http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/MTD-Service-Repair-Manuals/

dakotanut

Threads
Model Number: 13AG601H729
296-204

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
This link pertains to my mower, but I believe the drives are pretty much the same.
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/506276/Mtd-808h-Series.html

Starting on page 21 they cover the belt replacement procedures.
Only tricky part on mine was the need to drop the drive pulley on the engine to clear the belt keepers that are part of the frame.
My pulley wouldn't budge so I ended up pulling the motor. No big chore,really.
Good luck.