New Greenworks 16" Li-Ion battery powered chainsaw

MowerMike

Threads
  • / New Greenworks 16" Li-Ion battery powered chainsaw
Amazon is advertising this new chainsaw from Greenworks that would be the first 16" Li-Ion battery powered chainsaw AFAIK. It is powered by the same 40V G-MAX batteries used in the smaller 12" chainsaw and other tools, including the 20" twin-blade lawn mower. The main difference other than the larger bar is the use of a brushless motor and addition of a chain brake. Amazon shows it as being "temporarily out of stock." The price includes a G-MAX 40-volt 4 Ah battery and charger.

Amazon.com : GreenWorks 20312 G-MAX 16-Inch DigiPro Brushless Chainsaw, Includes 40-volt 4 AH Li-Ion Battery and Charger : Patio, Lawn & Garden

thumb435_G-MAX-digipro-chainsaw.jpg

Last edited:

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
Interesting, they appear to show a 'tool only' version as well.

BTW - my 40V g-max hedge trimmer died on it's second use. It just slowed down and then the 'magic smoke' came out of the motor vents. It kinda ran a little slower than my old B&D 18V trimmer but, I have no idea if that was a red flag or not. Worked fine the first time.

guess I'll be calling GW tomorrow.

MowerMike

Threads
Interesting, they appear to show a 'tool only' version as well.

BTW - my 40V g-max hedge trimmer died on it's second use. It just slowed down and then the 'magic smoke' came out of the motor vents. It kinda ran a little slower than my old B&D 18V trimmer but, I have no idea if that was a red flag or not. Worked fine the first time.

guess I'll be calling GW tomorrow.

Bummer on the hedge trimmer. Personally, I wouldn't waste my time with greenworks and just contact Amazon for a RMA. It's clearly not repairable.

On a separate note, it appears that this DigiPro brushless motor is going to be the basis for a new series of tools that promise much better performance than the previous generations of 40 volt G-MAX powered units. I just found this blower / vac that claims a maximum air speed of 185 mph and air volume of 340 cfm. This is much better than the 150 mph and 135 cfm of my Gen1 (pre G-MAX) 40 volt blower and compare very favorably with the 165 mph and 391 cfm specs of my Echo PB-250LN gas handheld blower. Maybe we can finally get a battery powered blower than can actually blow leaves and is just not some sort of wimpy air duster.

Amazon.com : GreenWorks 24312 G-MAX DigiPro Brushless Blower, 40-volt : Patio, Lawn & Garden

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
Bummer on the hedge trimmer. Personally, I wouldn't waste my time with greenworks and just contact Amazon for a RMA. It's clearly not repairable.

On a separate note, it appears that this DigiPro brushless motor is going to be the basis for a new series of tools that promise much better performance than the previous generations of 40 volt G-MAX powered units. I just found this blower / vac that claims a maximum air speed of 185 mph and air volume of 340 cfm. This is much better than the 150 mph and 135 cfm of my Gen1 (pre G-MAX) 40 volt blower and compare very favorably with the 165 mph and 391 cfm specs of my Echo PB-250LN gas handheld blower. Maybe we can finally get a battery powered blower than can actually blow leaves and is just not some sort of wimpy air duster.

Amazon.com : GreenWorks 24312 G-MAX DigiPro Brushless Blower, 40-volt : Patio, Lawn & Garden

What's involved with the Amazon RMA? Will I have to pay shipping to get this thing back to them? It isn't 'really' a DOA issue, just a very early failure.

I will investigate that.

MowerMike

Threads
What's involved with the Amazon RMA? Will I have to pay shipping to get this thing back to them? It isn't 'really' a DOA issue, just a very early failure.

I will investigate that.

Just go to the Amazon website, log into your account, go to Your Orders and click on Return or Replace Items. I've never used it, but I believe they will give you a RMA with a shipping label and that you will not incur any costs. I'm pretty certain you can return anything for any reason within 30 days of purchase. Let us know if you find out otherwise.

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
Just go to the Amazon website, log into your account, go to Your Orders and click on Return or Replace Items. I've never used it, but I believe they will give you a RMA with a shipping label and that you will not incur any costs. I'm pretty certain you can return anything for any reason within 30 days of purchase. Let us know if you find out otherwise.

Thanx, looks like you're right. Fairly painless and they even have a way to select 'replacement'. Only problem was, their system never printed the return labels. But I have an email in about that so, they may have to send me a label.

still, looks like it'll work - thanx again for the suggestion!

MowerMike

Threads
The Amazon listing has been updated with new images that appear to be actual design photos rather than drawings. It is now shown as available for pre-order as either a bare tool only for about $220 or including 4 Ah battery and charger for about $340. The chainsaw housing appears to be more substantial than the 12" 40 volt version with metal bucking teeth and a chain brake integrated into the hand guard. A proper sprocket tip bar is used, but unfortunately a skip tooth chain as well. Since the bar is a standard 16" size, it should be a simple matter to replace the chain with a normal one.

Amazon.com : GreenWorks 20312 G-MAX 16-Inch DigiPro Brushless Chainsaw, Includes 40V 4amp GMAX Battery + Charger : Patio, Lawn & Garden

http://www.amazon.com/GreenWorks-20...2-fkmr0&keywords=greenworks+digipro+brushless

71R7zxKdHiL._SL1500_.jpg61MnYnV6CAL._SL1500_.jpg71UfFrdvFCL._SL1500_.jpg71XyKZfSwBL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

MowerMike

Threads
Last edited:

MowerMike

Threads
Here's a short promo video for the chainsaw:

MowerMike

Threads