What to do with used cat litter?

AndyMan

Threads
It seems like half of my trash some weeks is cat clumps. Is there any way to naturally dispose of used cat litter without killing my yard destroying my woods? We use the clumping kind.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
It seems like half of my trash some weeks is cat clumps. Is there any way to naturally dispose of used cat litter without killing my yard destroying my woods? We use the clumping kind.

Join the club, we too have too much of it but I don't know a way to get rid of it, short of tossing it into the trash bin.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Toss it into a compost pile ... it will break down and make good mix with other compost-ables...
If you are in town and don't have space, that may be a problem... :smile:KennyV

Hershey

Threads
We don't have cats, but my friends who do just toss it into the garbage. I'm afraid that no one really wants to deal with the cat litter mess.

monica123

Threads
I compost mine, I figure the ammonia can't be worse than the chicken or other manure that is in there. My mix of compost seems to work well for my plants.

Rocky

Threads
I also mix it into my compost pile and have been doing that for years with no problems. If you don't have a compost pile, then I would suggest finding a spot in your yard where you can bury it and mix it into the soil.

AndyMan

Threads
I had no idea it was compostable. Somehow I thought compost was only edible vegetable waste. What other weird things can you compost? (I know about corn cobs and melon rinds, and not to throw in chicken bones.)

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I also mix it into my compost pile and have been doing that for years with no problems. If you don't have a compost pile, then I would suggest finding a spot in your yard where you can bury it and mix it into the soil.

Let me get this straight...some of you use "USED" cat litter in a compost pile...:confused2: well how many of you use the compost produced on your garden for veggie crops, or on flowers? MY step mom is a master gardener, I am going to run this topic through her (pun intended) and get the straight poop (pun intended again) on how practical this is, and on whether it is a health hazard.

For those who have a compost pile, do you also use USED doggie doo, or if you are so fixated on the subject, simply take a dump on the pile yourself, hopefully in the dead of night? :laughing:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Let me get this straight...some of you use "USED" cat litter in a compost pile...:confused2: well how many of you use the compost produced on your garden for veggie crops, or on flowers? MY step mom is a master gardener, I am going to run this topic through her (pun intended) and get the straight poop (pun intended again) on how practical this is, and on whether it is a health hazard.

For those who have a compost pile, do you also use USED doggie doo, or if you are so fixated on the subject, simply take a dump on the pile yourself, hopefully in the dead of night? :laughing:

Oh Ooooo..
I guess I have been assuming with a name like JDgreen, you had a farming or AG type background... We use to have dairy and beef cattle... that is a source of THE BEST compost ingredient, next to chicken waste, we also had lots of chickens... FANTASTIC source of nitrogen for your compost pile...

Today with less actual productive farm animals around the next best ingredient is horse stall sourced...
sawdust woodshavings that are cleaned from horse stalls (daily) is also tremendious in a compost pile along with cat box litter (definitely used) and anything you dog or sasquach may leave behind... :smile:KennyV

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've been told that the horse manure is less effective when mixed with wood as the wood significantly reduces the amount of nitrogen produced.
I've also been instructed by the county extension service to avoid waste from dogs or cats. I've equated it to the diet, herbivoures good for compost /carnivoures bad for the compost. I have also been told that urinating on your compost pile will help to get it going.
Relatives from Germany used to talk about the human waste used on the fields as fertilizer in the early part of the last century. I was told that the produce had to be soaked for hours before eating to avoid sickness.
I could not offer any evdience or proof one way or they other on any of these claims. I personally will use horse manure in the compost after it has cured somewhat. I honestly could not say how it affects it.
Most of us are probably familiar with "milorganite", it is supposed to be safe for vegetable gardens but marketed as an inexpensive alternative for chemical fertilzers for use on turf grass and lawns. Milorganite is made from sewer sludge and has been used for a long time.