Removing hard water stains

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
We have a good quality kitchen sink that has lime and rust deposits built up by the drain, I have tried everything I can think of to remove the stains, Lime Away, CLR, Ajax, Bon Ami, Clorox, Comet, Iron Out, etc. Every single cleaner fails to dissolve the build up, even when the deposits are soaked overnight. It is possible to chip off part of the deposits using a plastic scraper, but I am not going to use a metal scraper or SOS pad except as a last resort. I have tried WD-40, paint thinner, Goodbye Splatters, Goof Off, all kinds of solvents, nothing will soften the stuff.

HELP, PLEASE !! :confused2:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hey JD ... Put in a water softener, remove the minerals before they accumulate... :smile:KennyV

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey JD ... Put in a water softener, remove the minerals before they accumulate... :smile:KennyV

Do have a softener but still have the issue, the sink is a cast iron type, was very expensive and I hate to replace it. Just want to know how to remove the deposits. There must be SOMETHING that will dissolve them.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Do have a softener but still have the issue, the sink is a cast iron type, was very expensive and I hate to replace it. Just want to know how to remove the deposits. There must be SOMETHING that will dissolve them.
Did any of the products you mentioned contain Muriatic acid? I can't imagine any water deposit that would not be dissolved with a high concentration of that. I don't know what a concentrated Muriatic acid would do to your sink either. The trick is not removing the build up the trick is removing it with out damaging the sink:frown:

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Did any of the products you mentioned contain Muriatic acid? I can't imagine any water deposit that would not be dissolved with a high concentration of that. I don't know what a concentrated Muriatic acid would do to your sink either. The trick is not removing the build up the trick is removing it with out damaging the sink:frown:

Isn't that the stuff used to clean concrete? Will do some research, the sink is porcelain over cast iron, it's really tough...I tried something used for toilets too, made no difference. Thanks much for the idea...will try it on an old sink in the barn to see if it damages the finish. And, to ANSWER YOUR QUESTION, none of the cleaners I have tried contain that acid.

Stevie-Ray

Threads
Have you tried straight vinegar? Or even a mix of vinegar and hot water. Fill the sink with that and let it sit for a half hour or so. It's acetic acid and is far kinder to pipes and such than hydrochloric. Hydrochloric (muriatic) will start eating your drain basket immediately, if it's metal.

What I use up north is Sno-Bol, for toilets. But there's 2 types and you must get the one that is watery liquid rather than the gel type. It even takes rust spots off vinyl siding.

Have you a whole house filter to go along with your softener?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Have you a whole house filter to go along with your softener?

A whole house filter will remove sediment but not minerals, A Deionization Water Filter will remove minerals but can be a bit pricey to maintain...
If you have a lot of mineral deposit even with a softener, your water must be terribly hard... KennyV

Honey

Threads
Have you heard of Watkins? They have a toilet Bowl cleaner that would work fantastic. A friend of mine turned me onto it, she rents houses and a tenant left the toilet a mess, hard water stains and the whole bit, she used that and it looks like she replaced it.
Watkins Official Home Business Opportunity Web Site | Traditional Favorites

I see it's temporarily unavailable, but it should be back soon.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Have you heard of Watkins? They have a toilet Bowl cleaner that would work fantastic. A friend of mine turned me onto it, she rents houses and a tenant left the toilet a mess, hard water stains and the whole bit, she used that and it looks like she replaced it.
Watkins Official Home Business Opportunity Web Site | Traditional Favorites

I see it's temporarily unavailable, but it should be back soon.

Thanks all, for your suggestions...yes, house has a filter too, but for the ten years prior to me moving out there, copper water pipes had no softener and minerals built up inside, when I moved out there I installed filter and softener, but still get some deposits flushed out from pipes...have thought about replacing water pipes but most are 3/4 inch and LONG runs...anybody priced copper lately...OUCH. :frown:

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
A whole house filter will remove sediment but not minerals, A Deionization Water Filter will remove minerals but can be a bit pricey to maintain...
If you have a lot of mineral deposit even with a softener, your water must be terribly hard... KennyV

It's well water, terribly hard and full of lime...no public water available in this area so I have to take what I get...