Removing hard water stains

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
It's well water, terribly hard and full of lime...no public water available in this area so I have to take what I get...

We have a good quality kitchen sink that has lime and rust deposits built up by the drain, I have tried everything I can think of to remove the stains, Lime Away, CLR, Ajax, Bon Ami, Clorox, Comet, Iron Out, etc. Every single cleaner fails to dissolve the build up, even when the deposits are soaked overnight. It is possible to chip off part of the deposits using a plastic scraper, but I am not going to use a metal scraper or SOS pad except as a last resort. I have tried WD-40, paint thinner, Goodbye Splatters, Goof Off, all kinds of solvents, nothing will soften the stuff.

HELP, PLEASE !! :confused2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Visit a janitor supply for your muratic acid cleaning needs. They will probably have some around 23 percent. With heavy buildup it may take awhile alternating between soaking and scraping with the plastic scraper.

And they will have Nitrile gloves by the box.

Driller

Threads
I wish I had something helpful to say, but it looks to me like all the good suggestions have been made. I hope you can find a solution so that you don't have to replace it.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
if you are going to resort to muriatic acid, you can readily find it cheep at any place that sells swiming pool supplies... :smile:KennyV

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
if you are going to resort to muriatic acid, you can readily find it cheep at any place that sells swiming pool supplies... :smile:KennyV

C'mon Kenny, you expect there are many swimming pool supply dealers open in Mid Michigan this time of the year....:laughing:

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
C'mon Kenny, you expect there are many swimming pool supply dealers open in Mid Michigan this time of the year....:laughing:
Thats pretty funny:smile: I'm wiping away the tears at this moment. Swimming pool dealer in Michigan in December:laughing:
I suppose you have swimming pools, therefore the pool chemicals must be available. I just picture this fellow sitting behind a counter twitteling his thumbs and staring out the window at the snow waitng, waiting......for spring.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
there are not indoor pools & spas or hot tubs in Michigan this time of the year?? There has to be..
:smile:KennyV

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
there are not indoor pools & spas or hot tubs in Michigan this time of the year?? There has to be..
:smile:KennyV

Yes there are, we have a hot tub too, I just could not resist making the joke....:laughing:

Honey

Threads

I nearly spit out my morning coffee reading that reply. Our pool shops here are seasonal too, far too cold in winter to use that sort of thing here as well.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I nearly spit out my morning coffee reading that reply. Our pool shops here are seasonal too, far too cold in winter to use that sort of thing here as well.

To all, undiluted vinegar removed most of the deposits, the diluted (50/50 with water) muriatic acid took care of the rest, THANKS TO ALL !!! :thumbsup:

monica123

Threads
That is good to know. My folks battle hard water stains in their bath tub, I will have to pass that on to my mom to see if it helps for her situation.