Ventrac problems

Raw Dodge

Threads
What issues are you having with your 4500k? I thought they were pretty solid machines.My dealer said to avoid the kubota 32.5 gas due to excessive underhood temps from the cat convertor,but even that has a fix once in the hands of the owner..all the other models are good.

bmack

Forum Newbie
Threads
What issues are you having with your 4500k? I thought they were pretty solid machines.My dealer said to avoid the kubota 32.5 gas due to excessive underhood temps from the cat convertor,but even that has a fix once in the hands of the owner..all the other models are good.

we ending up doing away with our ventrac dealer that was local and going 70 miles west so we could get the proper work done the moter blew up from overheating and it was the dehatsue 31 hp turbo, replaced with the non turbo fit for the mower. After that we have not had a problem, just make sure you blow the rad. out with air and not water as water will collect more crap than you started with, they also put and overheat switch to cut off pto if it does start to ooverheat but it hasn't been a problem since the swap. It's a very nice piece of equipment but it was a rocky road at the start for sure and I'll say it was more dealer related than ventrac.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I just found this thread.

I understand that some engines have had problems, but a good dealer will warn you off from those engines.

I have found Ventrac a great company to deal with and my dealer is excellent !

I have had no problems with the two Briggs 31 Hp. Gas Liquid Cooled engines.
The first 4231 had over 900 trouble free hours and this 2nd 4231 is now over 500 hours with no problems.

My neighbor now has a 4500 with the 31 Hp. Kawasaki Gas LC and has had no problems.

I would not trade my VENTRAC for any SCUT - !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tdhandm

Forum Newbie
Threads

The first thing that happened was that one of the mower blades fell off due to the head of the bolt breaking off from the threaded portion of the bolt. It took a week to get a new bolt. The next thing that happened was the tractor shut down while mowing and would not restart. The vacuum fuel pump was replaced with an electric fuel pump and I got to use the tractor once before it broke again. The next time I wanted to mow grass I got about one hundred feet swath mowed and the mower quit cutting. I found the mower deck belt had come off on one end and is stuck under the pulley and cut part way through. So far about every third time I have attempted to use this very expensive new tractor something has gone wrong with it. At the present time I wait for this third repair.

Raw Dodge

Threads
we ending up doing away with our ventrac dealer that was local and going 70 miles west so we could get the proper work done the moter blew up from overheating and it was the dehatsue 31 hp turbo, replaced with the non turbo fit for the mower. After that we have not had a problem, just make sure you blow the rad. out with air and not water as water will collect more crap than you started with, they also put and overheat switch to cut off pto if it does start to ooverheat but it hasn't been a problem since the swap. It's a very nice piece of equipment but it was a rocky road at the start for sure and I'll say it was more dealer related than ventrac.

Glad you got a new and better dealer...that is half the battle. The 31 turbo engine, that is another issue by itself...at least you got the better normally aspirated engine now...sad part is that engine was supposed to be their top of the line engine and it was the worst one you could get..

Raw Dodge

Threads
The first thing that happened was that one of the mower blades fell off due to the head of the bolt breaking off from the threaded portion of the bolt. It took a week to get a new bolt. The next thing that happened was the tractor shut down while mowing and would not restart. The vacuum fuel pump was replaced with an electric fuel pump and I got to use the tractor once before it broke again. The next time I wanted to mow grass I got about one hundred feet swath mowed and the mower quit cutting. I found the mower deck belt had come off on one end and is stuck under the pulley and cut part way through. So far about every third time I have attempted to use this very expensive new tractor something has gone wrong with it. At the present time I wait for this third repair.

I had the same thing happen once blade bolt snapped off, I think because it's a big blade on the 72 inch deck and only a tiny 1/2" bolt to hold it on. For me the good part was it came right out easily with just my fingers,then i was able to grab another 1/2 fine thread grade 8 bolt and I was on my way in literally 15 minutes downtime...on the deck belt there is a threaded rod with an eye let it that controls tension on the belt tensioner spring. You need to keep an eye on that spring when doing pm, for me every time I use it I blow off the deck and radiator with the backpack blower . anyway if you see that spring and the coils do not have an air gap between them tighten that bolt until you have an airgap, you likely didn't have enough spring tension from belt stretch or improper initial adjustment. .with out enough tension that belt can jump off like it did on you...

kmservco

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 3400L, vanguard eng., 250 hrs. has lost ground speed and now down to 4 mph, a second identical unit does 7 mph. Any ideas?

Raw Dodge

Threads
I'd check the linkage from the foot pedal to the hydraulic pump,make sure your getting full forward movement, if not find out what's stopping it or adjust the linkage to attain it.If that doesn't do it, verify proper engine RPM with a tachometer if it doesn't have one..if the max engine speed is to low adjust throttle linkage and or governor linkage to get to the proper RPM which should be between 3200 and 3600 depending on the engine.If that is ok,you've likely got a hydraulic pump issue ,at this point a trip to your dealer is in order ,hopefully your still under warranty.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
RD already said to check the foot pedal for ground speed problems - I have found gravel under the pedal and one time even in the slot where the pedal linkage goes through into the tunnel between your feet. It is possible that linkage is also restricted under the seat.

crod

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought a 4500P last fall. I initially wanted diesel power too. My property has steep hills and the previous owner warned me he had multiple accident with his zero turn mower. So I had several dealers demo their equipment. Ventrac was the only competitor that could negotiate most of the terrain on my property and all of the 2 acres of lawn area. I worked with Ventrac's Chris Wesman and their demo team who offered provided a recommendation and their rationale. They recommended the Kawasoki twin fuel injected engine mainly because it is built to sustained operation on steep hills with multiple sumps in the crankcase to ensure the engine is always lubricated. The Vanguard and Kubota engines do not have this feature. This is my first gas tractor as I grew up on a farm with all diesel power. It does seem odd to hear what sounds like a Harley motorcycle engine start up. However, the performance in hot and cold weather has been superb. Chris Wesman and my dealer, Keith Eby both recommended the Kawasaki twin also because they rarely see them in the shop for repair.