Briggs and Stratton Intek 1450

Threads
Update as per Briggs and Stratton Warranty Claim: Monday, July 8, 2013--- Just returned from authorized service dealer. There is still no decision as to whether or not warranty will cover damaged engine. I pulled the damaged engine from my machine out in the parking lot---left the engine and brought my machine home. I had opportunity to see the pushrods removed from the engine. Both were mangled rather than bent---the engine had been reassembled so I could not see the valve, etc. The mechanic on duty showed me two other Intek 1450's with the exact same condition I went in with, and a fellow on B & S website wrote in with the problem---that's a total of four that I know of. At least I have my machine back home, and that's some progress.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
caffeinated and kurt, I just typed a long answer but the site erased it saying they do not know me.

Threads
Well motoman, the same thing has happened to me---not on this website, but others. If you ever go to a website which uses a program called "disqus" for its commenting process, be advised---"disqus" can and will censor your entire comment, without even informing you of such possibility.

Threads
100_0435.jpg100_0433.jpg100_0432.jpg100_0434.jpg
Here's some photographs of the machine recently retrieved from the authorized service dealer---less the damaged engine of course. Blade spindle was made from scratch, and it's better than the factory original (the vendor wanted $550.00 for an entire front deck, whereas all I needed was a shaft). More information concerning sword mounted between handle bars is available at KURTISDDAVIS.com Great American Folk Art. The machine is a walk behind DR, sold by Country Home Products---it was likely manufactured by the Bachtold Brothers of Illinois, and is around 20 years old. The original engine was an 81/2 HP Briggs & Stratton, which ran well for almost 20 years---the new Intek 1450 failed after about 12 hours. Bachtold Brothers are probably out of business, and Country Home Products no longer sells the type I have, but offer an excellent "Premier" with a 121/2 HP engine.

Last edited:

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well motoman, the same thing has happened to me---not on this website, but others. If you ever go to a website which uses a program called "disqus" for its commenting process, be advised---"disqus" can and will censor your entire comment, without even informing you of such possibility.

Kurtis, well I have been critical of Briggs engine Intek for several years. And recently criticised thread advertising. Maybe they want me off. Just tell me, MrMrs administrator and I'm gone.:laughing: Until then I'll assume its just an "anomaly," and keep on trying to help and tell truth. I'm sure some pros would like to say goodbye. :rolleyes:

Threads
Motoman, I think you have a good strategy. The whole idea of these public discussions is to help improve things. Sometimes facts come to light that other people would prefer not to recognize. The other day, while managing my warranty claim, a certified mechanic told me there are two other 1450's in his shop with the same problem I have, and he further asserted that Briggs quality is inferior to times past. At least one person wrote in to the factory website with the valve problem, so that makes a total of four 1450's all with the same poor quality. I knew there were quality concerns about 1450's before ever buying one, but I figured it was people not doing basic maintenance, and otherwise improperly operating---now I am beginning to understand there must be more to it.

I have heard that it's the "Intek" family which is the problem, and that other engine families from B&S are good---the "Vanguard" family in particular. I think the hang up with my warranty is that the damaged engine is not worth fixing, and a new one probably won't be any better. I've now been waiting about 43 days for an answer.

Thanks for an opportunity to share ideas.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Kurtis, when I bought my 5 acre parcel in 2004 I had never started or run a powered lawnmower. Still influenced by Sears former rep I bought the DYT 4000/Intek 24 with posted results in this forum over the last several years. I noted that BS seemed to downplay the Intek name in favor of the Platinum name which I asked forum members to elaborate beyond the ad hype by BS which was badge engineering as far as I could see (longer life, cooler running , easier starting etc). No one offered any information so I conclude the engine is unchanged from Intek. Something is wrong in the metallurgy-cooling-supplier quality of the head mechanisms, I believe. I have not proved overheat (390F), but believe it is very possible, and the likely root cause of valve train failures. We know it is a tough business environment: make and sell low end, air cooled engines in lawn mowers that will be abused and overworked. But when owners take care and still are burned it is time to demand better. motoman

Threads
Well motoman, thanks for the input. Here comes the part we've been waiting for: authorized service dealer just called and attempted to void the warranty, stating the area of the flywheel was completely impacted with grass, which caused engine to overheat. This claim has been completely disputed by referring to the Briggs engine manual (form 277040WST Revision:H, and pages 4,8,&9)

The engine manual specifies that the aircooling system be cleaned annualy, and more often if airborne debri is present, and specifies how to properly clean. THERE IS NOT ONE REQUIREMENT ABOUT REMOVING SHEET METAL FROM THE ENGINE, SO AS TO CLEAN THE AIR COOLING SYSTEM.

And furthermore, the aircooling system was cleaned, as per instructions in the manual, before each and every use.

So we'll see how it shakes out. The B&S representative is supposed to review things. I certainly hope we avoid small claims court (in my State, I can ask for the cost of the engine and damages up to $6000.00).

I agree with you, and even another mechanic---there is something wrong with the 1450 keeping valve adjustment, or perhaps transferring heat out of the block.

Threads
scan0002.jpgscan0001.jpgscan0005.jpgscan0006.jpg
scan0007.jpg
Here's some images from the manual (277040WST/Revision:H). Page four provides diagram 19, and item "A", which is the sheet metal surrounding the pull cord. Page 8 states when to clean (annually or perhaps more often), and pages 8, 9, & 10 spell out where and how to clean the air cooling system. There is no mention whatever concerning requirement to disassemble, or remove sheet metal from the block, so as to properly clean the air cooling system. The authorized service dealer is trying to void the warranty, saying that when the pull cord and related sheet metal were removed, he discovered the area to be impacted with grass. He further states that such debri caused the engine to overheat, and thus ruin.
I say I am not responsible for removing such part for cleaning, and even though it is illustrated in the manual, there is not requirement for it being removed, so as to allow proper cleaning. (Click on the images, and they get larger; use back arrow to return to selection.)

Images, left to right: diagram of pull cord area-page 4/cover page of manual/page 8/page9/page10

Last edited:

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Kurtis , The Intek owners manual is also remiss. For example . No maintenance is called out for valve adjustment. For the V 24 and others it is mandated in scores of cases in this forum and others how important this is for ease of starting, elimination of backfire and (me) pushrod drop out. The only mention of valve adjustment is in a one liner in the troubleshooting guide. This task is beyond the ability of the average owner, though can be practised and done. So BS did the default thing- talk about it after the fact. Again, a pity some Japanese product quality is not in place as the Intek is behaving now that I know what it needs-if run hard ( as advertized) in hot conditions, then cool the oil to around 270F and know if it exceeds and cool off the machine...Oh yeah, and get lucky with the head/valve train mechanism. I hope you do not have to press small claims. It works , but you could be mowing ...or fishing. motoman