Need some tricks......

Bill2018

Forum Newbie
Threads
on how to cut as low as I can without scalping. I have a new John Deere x500 with a 48" deck and Gator Blades. I've been side discharging. I have Rivierra Bermuda grass on a 3/4 Acre lot which isn't the flattest in the world. The lowest I seem to be able to cut without scalping is 1.5" This was with the deck leveled from side to side with the front of the deck being about 1/8" lower in the front than the back. My front deck wheels were about 1/2" off the ground and the rear wheels were one spot lower, about 1/4" off the ground. The lower rear deck wheels was another suggestion that seemed to work, but I'm not sure why it worked.
As stated above, this set up did not scalp, but some grass was noticeably higher in the valleys of the yard and shorter on the crests. I played around with the pitch of the deck some more and made the front about 1/4" lower and kept the same settings listed above. This resulted in scalping and an un-level cut in some areas. Again, I'm not sure why such a minor adjustment would have done this.
I'm curious to know if I should make my deck pitch level from front to back or even have it lower in the back than the front and why one way would work better than the other. What about the height of the deck wheels? Any pictures of your yard with your set up would be appreciated so that I can see the results.
Any other tips on how to cut bermuda grass low would be appreciated as well.

I also posted this in General forums. I was unsure which place it should go.

BBO

Threads
I have Rivierra Bermuda grass on a 3/4 Acre lot which isn't the flattest in the world..

I am not familiar with this type of grass. I do not mow less than 2.5" here because it seems to stunt the grass.
But generally what I would say is that you need more dirt. 3/4 an acre is not that much to level up with good screened top soil.
The manual should tell you how much lower the front should be.
At whatever height you decide the deck wheels should all be ~1/4" from the concrete where you set it up.
Tire pressure can be REAL important as you can fine tune the deck set up with air pressure.

Unlevel areas, especially valleys are better if mowed with a smaller mower.
The wider the deck the more the problem. Be glad you did not get a 60" which is terrible with this type problem...

pile81

Threads
Pitch the deck more 1/8" your still chopping grass with the dull part of the blade, 3/8 to 1/2" pitch lets the sharp part of the blade make contact not the dull part, also helps with air flow, and making your grass cut clean.....and the wheels on your deck are called "anti scalp" wheels so essentially when your deck is bottomed out they should be touching the ground, if they are off the ground they're not doing their job at all.........its hard to cut super low on with a rotary mower and make it look good.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I just don't understand why people think they have to make there yard look like crap. YOU ARE CUTTING TO LOW
If your grass is brown for days after you cut then to low.

If your blades dig up the dirt guess what to low.

You have a rotary mower don't try and make your grass look like you have a reel mower

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

Bill2018

Forum Newbie
Threads
Appreciate everones advice. I'll play with the pitch a little more.
This hybrid bermuda is supposed to be cut at .5 to 3/4 of an inch. I think that may be impossible with a rotary mower. May have ti look into a reel mower.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Appreciate everones advice. I'll play with the pitch a little more.
This hybrid bermuda is supposed to be cut at .5 to 3/4 of an inch. I think that may be impossible with a rotary mower. May have ti look into a reel mower.

It will do fine at 2 to 3 inches.
For you to keep it under a inch even with a reel mower you need to be cutting every 3rd or 4th day. And you need to bag if going to keep it under a inch. Bermuda is a weed and over a foot it is called hay.

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))