Please post DETAIL about your problems!

jbxtex

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Briggs & Stratton 14hp I/C OHV... spins freely

I have a Briggs & Stratton 14hp I/C OHV 287707-0228-01

I was riding from my neighbor's house after giving them a hand with their lawn. On the way back I opened the throttle up just to see how fast it could go. Bad Move. engine blew suddenly. Flywheel spins freely when turning the key.. Has oil. No oil leaks. No compression at all. Doesnt even sound like piston is moving..

My commander-in-chief witnessed the whole thing and says I can always get a push mower. no... I am isolated in this planet now. I am sorry if I posted this problem in the wrong place using the wrong method. But in dire need of help. Thanks yall!

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a Briggs & Stratton 14hp I/C OHV 287707-0228-01 I was riding from my neighbor's house after giving them a hand with their lawn. On the way back I opened the throttle up just to see how fast it could go. Bad Move. engine blew suddenly. Flywheel spins freely when turning the key.. Has oil. No oil leaks. No compression at all. Doesnt even sound like piston is moving.. My commander-in-chief witnessed the whole thing and says I can always get a push mower. no... I am isolated in this planet now. I am sorry if I posted this problem in the wrong place using the wrong method. But in dire need of help. Thanks yall!

When using your mower you should always have the throttle up on the little rabbit or on fast.
The first thing to look at would be the flywheel key.
Take the cover off the engine then take the nut and washer off the flywheel. Look and see if the two grooves match up. Turn the flywheel and see if it turns the shaft.
Or you can look under the engine while your better half cranks it over and see if the pulleys move. If they don't move then I will say the key has broke.

jbxtex

Forum Newbie
Threads
When using your mower you should always have the throttle up on the little rabbit or on fast.
The first thing to look at would be the flywheel key.
Take the cover off the engine then take the nut and washer off the flywheel. Look and see if the two grooves match up. Turn the flywheel and see if it turns the shaft.
Or you can look under the engine while your better half cranks it over and see if the pulleys move. If they don't move then I will say the key has broke.

Pulleys are moving. Im wondering if I threw a piston rod. I can hear, what I think is, the valves operating when turning the key..

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Pulleys are moving. Im wondering if I threw a piston rod. I can hear, what I think is, the valves operating when turning the key..

I would say a rod.
Take the engine off the mower and take the crankcase cover off and have a look.
If the rest of the mower is good then fix the engine or pick up a used engine on Craigslist or eBay.

supertech

Threads
Re: Valve guide Re: Please post DETAIL about your problems!

I have a Kohler 20HP engine with a brokenintake valve guide....actually about 1/3 of the lower part is gone...my question is with minimal wobble should I be able to use head ? Kohler only sells a new head ...guides are not replaceable and valve seating appears OK....Original problem appears to be sludge causing sticking exhaust valve breaking rocker bolt which caused intake valve spring to come off....Im building quite a repair history on this tractor and am ready to take a shortcut.......jw1

When you get it back running, it wouldn't hurt to use some automatic transmission fluid in the fuel tank each time you fill up. This helps to lubricate the valve stems and guides. The main problem here is ethanol fuel and engine heat. Kohler engines tend to have valves failures, usually its the valve seats dislodging from the head.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
valve seats loosening, IMO overheat. Put on an oil cooler and oil temp gauge and cool down the machine when sump oil exceeds 280F

John Fert

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello i was repairing my John Deere JS63c, i was reparing the tractor starter rope. When everythi g was removed i noticed a small piece yellow/white plastic looking lever. Not sure where it belongs.

ForumRunner_20170225_155848.png

ForumRunner_20170225_155937.png

ForumRunner_20170225_160001.png

akeener11

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, first post. Thanks for having me. I would like to know if bad fuel can cause an oil leak in a push mower.
I have a husky lc221rh. I bought it at Lowes on a deal. They said it had bad gas. It's running but has an oil leak present to the ouside of it. I took it to a husky dealer and they told me since it had bad gas in it once, it may not be covered under the Honda warranty. The lady said bad gas does alot of damage to engines. I could see if there was gas getting into the oil, that may be correct, but its not. I do know that it wreaks havoc on starting and running it. I got a message into Robert, the Honda guy on here and he has been super helpful. I just wonder what you guys think and if they won't cover it, what I should do. I've had the mower two months. Should I try an actual honda dealer or look to fix it or return it. The oil is present around the bottom of the flywheel cover and around the back and sides of the engine housing.

Thanks for your time,
Adam

BOB'S small engines

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello , I have a brand new Murray lawn mower with a briggs 4.50 E series that won't start I opened up the engine as far as I no the timing has always been dot to dot the compressing release is on the exhaust side I have some popping through carb need help

rgentry

Forum Newbie
Threads
toro ss5000 timecutter 2012 model engine starts runs when i pull the levers out of park the engine dies put it back in park start it pull out of park dies tested all switches all good