Gas coming out the air filter!

Threads
I have a craftsman mower, walk behind that has been fine up till now.
Today as I was sidehilling with the carb on the downhill side it starts spewing gas out the air filter and shuts down
I let it dry out, restart and while mowing with the carb on the uphill side or on the flat, it is fine, switch over so the carb is down hill and it starts to run poorly, gas comes out the little tube in the air filter ( I removed the air filter to see where the gas was coming from) then it dies. Takes several pulls to restart unless I let it set for a couple of hours.

What do you think the problem is?
Float stuck? Should I give it a technical tap with a screw driver handle?

Is it more than this and going to require the carb be taken off?

chance123

Threads
I have a craftsman mower, walk behind that has been fine up till now.
Today as I was sidehilling with the carb on the downhill side it starts spewing gas out the air filter and shuts down
I let it dry out, restart and while mowing with the carb on the uphill side or on the flat, it is fine, switch over so the carb is down hill and it starts to run poorly, gas comes out the little tube in the air filter ( I removed the air filter to see where the gas was coming from) then it dies. Takes several pulls to restart unless I let it set for a couple of hours.

What do you think the problem is?
Float stuck? Should I give it a technical tap with a screw driver handle?

Is it more than this and going to require the carb be taken off?

Not sure what you mean by "side hilling", but my guess is that you are mowing on a steep slope. When you do so, you actually upset the float level. What many of my clients do is to alter their way of mowing such as mowing at an angle to a point that still allows the float to function.

Threads
Not sure what you mean by "side hilling", but my guess is that you are mowing on a steep slope. When you do so, you actually upset the float level. What many of my clients do is to alter their way of mowing such as mowing at an angle to a point that still allows the float to function.

Yeah, I was mowing across a hill, but nothing this same mower hasn't been doing for years on this hill, back and forth the same way. The hill is maybe 30 degrees and only 2 decks wide.
It's been fine through 2 other mowers over the past 23 years too.
Just this last time the problem showed up.

Yes, I could change the pattern and mow uphill for 4 feet, turn around and mow downhill for 4 feet and keep doing that.
I could do what I did to finish mowing this time, which was to travel in a direction that put the carb on the uphill side.

Neither one of these band-aids really fix the problem though, they just allow me to continue to use a mower that spews gasoline out the air filter, that has to be dangerous on some level.

Threads
I measured the hill angle, a shade over 20 degrees.

Anyone have any suggestions on the carb problem?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
I responded on another one of your posts.

Yes, you will likely need to remove the carb to repair, but post your engine's model numers so we know what you have.

Thanks

Fish