I dint get it

RetiredGuns

Threads
Why? Because the grass type and grow zone can support low cutting heights. This may not be the case in Kentucky and the question can be better answered if the grow zone, grass type, and mower type is known.

Kentucky is different than many areas since seed suppliers suggest both warm and cool season grass types and recommend, ironically, turf type fescue over Kentucky bluegrass. Local Universities often have the best information.

AGR-52: Selecting the Right Grass for Your Kentucky Lawn

Table 1. Mowing heights for Kentucky lawns.

http://www2.ca.uky.edu/agc/pubs/AGR/AGR209/AGR209.pdf

Grass species Optimum height (inches)

Bermudagrass 1.0 - 2.0
Kentucky bluegrass 2.0 - 3.5
Perennial ryegrass 1.5 - 2.5
Tall fescue 2.0 - 3.5
Zoysiagrass 1.0 - 3.0

I am beginning to transition my lawn to a Colonial Bent Grass / Fine Fescue mix and plan to mow at about 1 inch and may test it even lower the fall. Western Washington has mild weather and plenty of moisture most of the year. My growing zone, grass type and powered reel mower allows close mowing that is not likely practical in Kentucky depending on the grass type planted in the referenced lawn.

This was taken yesterday and is 3 weeks after scarifying, core aerating, top dressing, leveling and over seeding. It is thinner in spots than the picture shows but it is filling in nicely and mowing at 1 inch should pose no problem and lower cuts are possible for my blend.

156472400.jpg

Beautiful lawn. Cut some stars in that upper right corner!

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I still don't get why people cut so short.
Mine on the left his on the right.

It's bad when the foreclosed home looks the best in the neighborhood.

image-1443097040.jpg

Attachments

• image-431443981.jpg
    image-431443981.jpg
    557 KB · Views: 53

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
We see numerous people who think that the shorter you cut grass the longer you can go without having to cut it again.
We try to cut 2 3/4 to 3" on every yard we cut. I actually lost a yard last summer because I cut it too tall. It was cut at 2 1/4". Lady hired her neighbor's kid. This year she called me back and we got the yard back. :)

ayres

Forum Newbie
Threads
Wow Perfectly Maintained....:thumbsup:

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I think it's getting worse. Now I see grass to short on commercial accounts.

RDA.Lawns

Threads
I cut about everything at 3 . I have one I cut at 2 not because I want to but its a good account.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I cut about everything at 3 . I have one I cut at 2 not because I want to but its a good account.

I have a few I cut at 2 inches. But we cut them every week. Mostly I don't get this cutting right to the ground.

RDA.Lawns

Threads
I like tall thick grass. A yard cut short especially as dry n hot as it is here in east Texas turns brown and dies. We are finally getting some rains .

Pumper54

Threads
We cut ours at about 3 but it is St Augustine and it looks real bad short.

As for writing stuff in yards I have heard that if you mix powdered milk and fertilizer together you get a triple whammy, first everyone can read what was written in the yard, the the owner tries to wash the stuff away only to have the yard smell like sour milk and then the fertilizer kicks in and greens up the words for several seasons. I don't know this for a fact just something I heard years ago.

Tom

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
We cut ours at about 3 but it is St Augustine and it looks real bad short. As for writing stuff in yards I have heard that if you mix powdered milk and fertilizer together you get a triple whammy, first everyone can read what was written in the yard, the the owner tries to wash the stuff away only to have the yard smell like sour milk and then the fertilizer kicks in and greens up the words for several seasons. I don't know this for a fact just something I heard years ago. Tom

I am going to try this.