I dint get it

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
I know there are factors to consider like what type grass and what climate zone you're in w'ever. But I've read there are 2-3 decent reasons to choose a tall height. I don't know of any reason to choose a low height. (there may be some)

tall grass 'may' be less likely to have more than 1/3 it's blade length cut (I think that's the general recommendation)

tall grass shades it's own blades and root system.

Tall grass makes it more difficult for weed seeds to get down to the soil.

Threads
I know there are factors to consider like what type grass and what climate zone you're in w'ever. But I've read there are 2-3 decent reasons to choose a tall height. I don't know of any reason to choose a low height. (there may be some)

tall grass 'may' be less likely to have more than 1/3 it's blade length cut (I think that's the general recommendation)

tall grass shades it's own blades and root system.

Tall grass makes it more difficult for weed seeds to get down to the soil.

I agree with statements #2 and #3, but I don't know if #1 is true, because I always cut at 3" and a lot of the time I'm cutting more than 1/3 off, which is the rule. Your statement is true if one time you cut short and then the next time you decide to cut longer, but once you always cut at a tall height, it doesn't hold true.

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
I agree with statements #2 and #3, but I don't know if #1 is true, because I always cut at 3" and a lot of the time I'm cutting more than 1/3 off, which is the rule. Your statement is true if one time you cut short and then the next time you decide to cut longer, but once you always cut at a tall height, it doesn't hold true.

yeah, it's just a gut feel. I figure if someone cuts at - say 1.5" - they may be tempted to wait much longer than it takes those blades to get to - say 2", than someone under the same conditions cuts at 3" is unlikely to wait till the grass gets to 4". It probably grows slower at that height too. I too can say there are times I'm cutting a little more than 1/3 off. I just think those conditions would be worse if I was cutting shorter! Of course, I suppose there ARE folks who could diligently cut their grass 2 or 3 times a week and abide by the rule.

It just seems easier to abide by the 'rule' at taller heights.

sgmgarden

Threads
When the weather is hot outside, you should try not to cut the grass too short. This tends to cause further problems for your lawn, as it encourages moss and unwanted weeds.

Threads
When the weather is hot outside, you should try not to cut the grass too short. This tends to cause further problems for your lawn, as it encourages moss and unwanted weeds.

And it can make it brown until the weather cools down or it rains. :thumbdown:

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
We have several customers that will not hear of cutting their grass higher than 2". Around here few people want theirs cut more than once every two weeks so basically we are doing light bush hogging every time we cut grass this time of year.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Why ????

image-113503540.png

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thats simple not caring. obvisouly they dont care about how it looks. Bet the inside of the house looks like that?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
The green grass on the left is my mothers yard.

She is going to go talk to them about how there yard looks.

How can they just leave it looking like this

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
How much work do you this guy will get?

I felt so bad for him I did not ban him from the group.

image-3879094193.png