Mowing an incline or slope: Up-Down? or Sideways?

minkyung

Threads
There looks like two ways that people mow an incline. One is going up and down. The other is sideways. I saw these from the other thread. I wonder now which one is better :)

jenkinsph

Threads
What would make you think there is a BEST way? Alot depends on the circumstances as was noted in the other thread.,

minkyung

Threads
Thanks Jenkins. Yeah, I thought I should bring discussion here in this new thread :)

With 15-degree slope I thought up-down is safest. But someone mentioned his manual says sideways. I wish to discuss it further here if it's ok with the rest.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
I believe that it varies by the type of mower. The owner's manual should be the best guide.

monica123

Threads
I think it would be a case by case basis depending on the slope, incline and everything else. If it is too much of an incline I think up and down would be far too dangerous.

brucesdeere

Threads
I prefer to whipper snip on the incline than mow, seems safer to me.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Front-steer riding mowers are to be operated up and down slopes, at or less than 15 degrees of an angle, and not across the face of slopes, providing you do not spin wheels. Walk-behind mowers are to be operated across the face of slopes, at or less than 15 degrees of an angle, and not up and down a slope.

FOR ZERO TURN RIDING ( ZTR ) REAR-STEER MOWERS ONLY

Unlike conventional front engine riders with front wheel steering, with a ZTR rear-steer mower the steering is done with the rear drive wheels. When going directly uphill and attempting a turn to go back downhill, as the operator makes the turn the driven uphill tire sees reduced traction due to weight shifting to the downhill tire. In the case of a ZTR, loss of traction means loss of steering. Thus, if the uphill tire looses traction the operator also looses steering and the risk of losing control of the machine increases. By going sideways on the hill and then turning uphill to go back the other direction, traction is better on the downhill wheel doing the driving and turning. Thus, the chance of losing traction, steering and control of the machine is reduced. Also, when driving straight downhill, traction is reduced because of the weight shift forward off the driven wheels. Again, since loss of traction equates to loss of steering, sideways operation is preferred.

The proper way to operate one of our ZTR rear-steer mowers on slopes is to start at the bottom of the slope and go side-to side rather than up and down. When turning to go back the other way, turn uphill by keeping the uphill lever generally fixed while using the down hill lever to execute the turn. This procedure provides the least risk of loss of control due to a loss of traction/steering.

Last edited:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have owned both rubber tire and tracked equipment, when it comes to steep inclines you NEVER will go across a slope, sideways as safely as you can while traveling up and down that same incline...
Makes no differance what you are doing, mowing, dozing or just driving...

It is generally faster, to cover the area, to go across a slope sideways while mowing... But the equipment you are opperating will eventually let you know when you have exceeded a comfortable angle, at that time up and down the incline will become the only safe way to procede...

When it is too steep , that is the time to get out the weed eater, OR just leave it alone...:smile:KennyV

rfolk

Forum Newbie
Threads
Check the manual before driving your mower along the side of an incline like a ditch.
Depending on how your engine is designed you may be starving your engine of oil
driving it along a incline.

txzrider

Threads
even though my 20hp B&S engine is pressure lubed... the manual specifically states the limit is 15 degrees. That being said... I often go across my slope beside my driveway, mower does not seem to care as long and am going slighly up vs horizontally level. I will go up and back down the steepest part with no effort as well.