Engine Carburetor gas leak

quick-king

Forum Newbie
Threads
TB BRONCO - gas leaking Through fuel shutoff solenoid (?) Below the carburetor bowl. Where can I purchase a solenoid replacement? Replacement only way to stop the leak?

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I am assuming you mean the fuel shut off solenoid. It's purpose is to close the main jet when you shut your unit down to eliminate backfiring after shut down though the carb. Check to make sure that the gasket between the solenoid and carb bowl is in good shape and the gasket between the carb bowl and carb body also. Should not have to replace the solenoid unless it is bad.

rockstar

Forum Newbie
Threads
Had the same problem yesterday, thought it was the solenoid, which also holds the bowl to the carb.

But it was just the start of my problems, the float and needle valve assy was broken too, so gas was leaking into the intake and sump. To check I removed the vacuum pipe on the block side of the carb and could see gas leaking through.

I did give it a thorough clean, it was sparkling and checked the float needle to make sure it was sealing, by blowing air though it when it was shut. But somehow it still leaked, may be a sinking float..

In the end just ordered a replacement carb with a newer nikki style, as it seems to happen a lot to the walbro.

Check to see if gas is leaking though the carb, into the oil by removing the crankcase suction pipe.

quick-king

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am assuming you mean the fuel shut off solenoid. It's purpose is to close the main jet when you shut your unit down to eliminate backfiring after shut down though the carb. Check to make sure that the gasket between the solenoid and carb bowl is in good shape and the gasket between the carb bowl and carb body also. Should not have to replace the solenoid unless it is bad.

Yes, fuel shutoff solenoid. Checked the solenoid - it activate but not return (broken spring?). Does not leak at the O-Ring (wrapped tissue around solenoid - remained dry as gasoline leaked out bottom of solenoid strange!) Still need to find where to purchase a replacement. Read much about needle valve/seat leak problems. No current signs of gas leaking into engine/crankcase, but probably only a matter of time. So will want to rebuild carb while I have it apart. Model number LMK 3103. Source for solenoid/rebuild kit?
Also, it had just started to backfire on shutoff=bad solenoid.
What is "nikki" style?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Any good repair shop can get you a new one.