When the engine won't start

mois25

Threads
There are instances when the engine won't start no matter what technique you try to employ. One of the causes could be flooding of the engine.

How does one successfully go about this without damaging the engine? Any easy to grasp DIYs?

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
There are instances when the engine won't start no matter what technique you try to employ. One of the causes could be flooding of the engine.

How does one successfully go about this without damaging the engine? Any easy to grasp DIYs?

Please clarify...what do you mean by "successfully go about this"? Cure a probable engine flooding problem?

I just remove the plug, if it's wet with fuel I use a rag to wipe off excess fuel, and then open the choke and pull the engine over several times with plug removed, to ventilate the cylinder of excess fuel. Reinstall the plug, DO NOT PRIME the engine unless it's very cold, and try using half choke until the engine starts. Usually one application of removing and drying the plug does the trick. Of course, if there is no fuel on the plug, you don't have a flooding problem...:ashamed:

jhwentworth

Threads

What specific piece of equipment are you talking about? Is it a 2-cycle engine? A 4-cycle with FI? Maybe a carbed 4-cycle. Your profile shows you to not have a mower, are you sure that you're talking about a real problem, or are you simply asking questions to build interest on a slow site. It does seem there are several posters here who specialize in pretty generic questions.

I think I'm done here in this forum.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
What specific piece of equipment are you talking about? Is it a 2-cycle engine? A 4-cycle with FI? Maybe a carbed 4-cycle. Your profile shows you to not have a mower, are you sure that you're talking about a real problem, or are you simply asking questions to build interest on a slow site. It does seem there are several posters here who specialize in pretty generic questions.

Sorry if you are leaving, as you have been very detailed and specific in many of your posts. Yes, I do agree that many of the posts are so generic there isn't any way to diagnose the problem. Whatever, have a great holiday season.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads

Put down the mouse and slowly walk away.... take a deep breath and get your favorite beverage.... try to remember that it's December and this is Lawn Mower Forum.
Best regards to you and your family...Merry Christmas

Rooster7

Threads

You can't be done here if you know how to answer my occasional questions! :smile:

After all if I can learn from guys like you and fix my own stuff, that means that I can help someone else down the road. So check back in once in awhile.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
There are some that just can not stand the 'social' side of a public forum... there was someone way back that got all pushed out of shape because he thought this was too social... ??
Myself I like it this way, and thou sometimes it would be easier if some of the questions were worded differently ... The fact is it is still going to possibly help someone that reads the posts and their replies.... And when something is stated that may not be 100 percent... well others usually will add to it, and make things more clear.

The informal exchange of ideas and experiences is what makes this type of exchange interesting and fun, I hope everyone can find something to enjoy here... I do enjoy reading all the posts, regardless as to the content. and for that I want to thank everyone that has made this year 2010 as pleasant and"sociable" as it has been... May 2011 be the same.. :smile::smile::smile:KennyV

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Put down the mouse and slowly walk away.... take a deep breath and get your favorite beverage.... try to remember that it's December and this is Lawn Mower Forum.
Best regards to you and your family...Merry Christmas

If I wasn't clear as to my point, I'll make it crystal. There just isn't a lot lawn mower posts and thats because it's winter time. I for one am perffectly O.K. with that, although that is of little importance. Just as the fact that if JHwentworth never shows up here again, thats fine what ever makes him happy. He's entitled to express himself as he wishes as long as it is in the confines of the rules established.
His post, although somewhat negative has generated interest. I find it interesting that he felt the need to let us know that he's done here. I wish I could learn something from every thread and I wish I could help someone with every post. I wish I knew more about snowblowers, but I live in Florida and I don't think I've ever seen one. That's the reality.
I think we can all consider this thread throughly hijacked....But none the less worth the time it took to read it, so thanks mois25! and goodluck to you JHwentorth, where ever you are:wink:

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
If I wasn't clear as to my point, I'll make it crystal. There just isn't a lot lawn mower posts and thats because it's winter time. I for one am perffectly O.K. with that, although that is of little importance. Just as the fact that if JHwentworth never shows up here again, thats fine what ever makes him happy. He's entitled to express himself as he wishes as long as it is in the confines of the rules established.
His post, although somewhat negative has generated interest. I find it interesting that he felt the need to let us know that he's done here. I wish I could learn something from every thread and I wish I could help someone with every post. I wish I knew more about snowblowers, but I live in Florida and I don't think I've ever seen one. That's the reality.
I think we can all consider this thread throughly hijacked....But none the less worth the time it took to read it, so thanks mois25! and goodluck to you JHwentorth, where ever you are:wink:

Very well stated, and hey, should you want to visit snowy mid Michigan, feel free to stop by and I will teach you all I know about snow removal, and let you play with my toys. That assumes there is any snow left to play in....:biggrin: