Simplicity Express 14.5HP Gear Drive - New Drive Belt, now pulleys need adjusting

bomberbeer

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Simplicity Express 14.5HP Gear Drive - New Drive Belt, now pulleys need adjusting
Howdy folks:
Simplicity Express 14.5HP Gear Drive, B&S Intek Engine (289707)
Originally purchased in 1999
Mower Mfg #1693452

I purchased a new engine-transmission drive belt from the local Simplicity Dealer and, after realizing the Owners manual was missing a few steps, finally completed installation! The tractor had the original belt on it, so i thought it a good idea to replace it before it broke while mowing someday.

Then, as i went to test it out, i stepped on the 'brake', shifted into reverse...and it began backing up...while i was standing on the 'brake'. Shoved the transmission into neutral...waited...shifted into first...and began moving forward.

To say the old belt was slack and flabby (like me) is an understatement. It appears to me that the pulleys do not rotate far enough out of the way to let the new belt 'go slack', allowing me to shift the transmission. Is there a process for adjusting these two idler pulleys? I was hoping I could move the Clutch Rod from the normal position where it attaches to the Directional Foot Pedal (there is a second hole farther forward) but the 2nd hole is smaller in diameter, apparently for a different model.

I thought there might be something on the Idler Bracket, but it seems the design is for there to be a lot of movement through the channel before the clutch rod is pulled out of the way.

I can grab the pulleys and move them farther out of the way (to the centerline) than they move now, so I know I have some room to give.

Any advice? I'd rather give it a go myself than take it into the dealership and pay hundreds for something mechanical like this.

Much Appreciated.

Dan

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Simplicity Express 14.5HP Gear Drive - New Drive Belt, now pulleys need adjusting