600 Series Peerless Transaxle Rebuild or Replace?

DaveTN

Threads
It's on an older Craftsman rider a friend gave me. What I suspect went wrong with it is the left wheel bearing gave out, slung the pulverized remains into the spider gear assembly and something came loose. I haven't removed it yet, but will probably this weekend. Just wondering if any of you have taken the trouble to replace or repair the wheel bearing, spider gear assemby? It is a split case, so if lucky it's only the left side to repair. The easy fix it to replace the whole unit and repair/rebuild the 600 tranny this winter. Think it would make a good boat anchor once the grease is drained out? Any thoughts?

Buckshot 1

Threads
:smile: I would repair it. There are two types of 600's, it all depends on what model # you have (model I.D. should be around the shifter), there is a std series or a slow speed series. That transaxle should have 24oz's of 90w gear oil. The left wheel bearing part confuses me. What generally happens in a 600,is the 3 gear cluster key shears. Don B.

DaveTN

Threads
:smile: I would repair it. There are two types of 600's, it all depends on what model # you have (model I.D. should be around the shifter), there is a std series or a slow speed series. That transaxle should have 24oz's of 90w gear oil. The left wheel bearing part confuses me. What generally happens in a 600,is the 3 gear cluster key shears. Don B.

Wheel wasn't the right word. Meant "Left Axle Bearing" coming out of the housing. Sorry. I think this is the basic 600, not the 601 type 001, 002 etc. It's a 3 speed w/ reverse. I was trying to take the wheel off and the axle and all came out of the left side! Mower # is Craftsman 917.250830
Transaxle# is Peerless 658 then below are two sets of numbers: 7234 and 5088

Last edited:

Buckshot 1

Threads
Wheel wasn't the right word. Meant "Left Axle Bearing" coming out of the housing. Sorry. I think this is the basic 600, not the 601 type 001, 002 etc. It's a 3 speed w/ reverse. I was trying to take the wheel off and the axle and all came out of the left side! Mower # is Craftsman 917.250830
Transaxle# is Peerless 658 then below are two sets of numbers: 7234 and 5088

:smile: 658 just means they are variations in the series, anything from shift lever shape to the size of the brake shaft. Not sure about the other set of numbers. With the axle shaft coming out, you or something broke the snap ring which retais the bevel pioion gear to the axle shaft. The rim must have gualled to the axle shaft, was you beating on the rim to try remove it? (been there done that) The more I though about the wheel bearing statement, I fiqured that you must have meant axle bearing.

DaveTN

Threads
I pulled the transaxle Saturday and found the broken snap ring retainer holding the left axle into the pinion gear (spider gears) assembly! No surprise there since it was mentioned in a response earlier. The spider gears were fine and the only thing I could find wrong was the left axle shaft was worn with deep grooving where the bearing failed, so a new axle bearing wouldn't begin to work if replaced. Going to need a new axle shaft. Also found 3 needle bearings and several broken pieces of needle bearings in the housing after draining out the oil. I re-inserted the axle to test the gears and it turned fine. I'm planning on re-building it, but for now I went to the bone yard and pulled an identical Peerless 600 that will match up. On this first unit it will need an axle shaft bearing and seal, left axle and a snap ring and housing gasket. Something to do as a back burner project in the basement. Thanks for your help guys.

Buckshot 1

Threads
:smile: You are Welcome. Axle shaft might be a hard find. If there is anybody in your area that does spray welding you could have the damage axle built back up by spray welding and turned to size. Needle bearings should be no problem in finding them. When you get around to repairing the original transaxle, I would check the input shaft bearings and seal. The reason I stated that is, by the tractor I.D. numbers that is a late 80's LT and the input shaft has seen a lot of stress. Don B.