From 'Grass Cutting' vs 'Grooming'

adan

Threads
There is a change in attitude inside me about lawn mowing, thanks to the influence of this forum.

I used to look at lawn mowing simply as a chore to avoid tall grasses and unwanted pests crawling underneath them. This perspective did not help me understand the amount of time, money and energy that you guys pour on lawn mowing.

This time, it's about having something good to see and feel underneath our feet. That's more heart-warming and empowering. That gets me even more excited to push my own mower soon.

Driller

Threads
That's neat! We're never too old to learn or to have changes in attitudes. Sometimes you're right, being around others who love something can have a positive effect on us.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
There is a change in attitude inside me about lawn mowing, thanks to the influence of this forum.

I used to look at lawn mowing simply as a chore to avoid tall grasses and unwanted pests crawling underneath them. This perspective did not help me understand the amount of time, money and energy that you guys pour on lawn mowing.

This time, it's about having something good to see and feel underneath our feet. That's more heart-warming and empowering. That gets me even more excited to push my own mower soon.

Do you have snakes? How about other pests?

Here in the USA, you can get a good, used push mower for under $100 and they don't use much fuel, so it's not necessarily expensive to keep the grass cut. It takes time to mow but you get some exercise in the process and the yard looks so much better if you keep it mowed.

adan

Threads
Good question Two-stroke. We do have snakes here. They're black with yellow bellies, which can grow to around 3 feet. There are also completely green ones that grow to around two feet. They're not poisonous. But they can scare the hell out of most of people.

Add to that the large rats.

Snakes and rats very good reasons to cut the grass here.

Driller

Threads
Now that would keep me away from any areas with them around. I'm not interested in conversing with those critters while maintaining my lawn.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Good question Two-stroke. We do have snakes here. They're black with yellow bellies, which can grow to around 3 feet. There are also completely green ones that grow to around two feet. They're not poisonous. But they can scare the hell out of most of people.

Add to that the large rats.

Snakes and rats very good reasons to cut the grass here.

Do the snakes eat the rats?

At my farm in Alabama, there are various varieties of snakes -- rattlesnakes (poisonous) included. Before going into a wooded area or tall grass, I make lots of noise -- chainsaws are great for that -- and always wear boots.

adan

Threads
I'm not sure if they eat rats, but I really haven't thought of that. I have this impression that no, they don't. They're not big enough nor fast enough to catch the rats, unless I have underestimated them of course :)

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm not sure if they eat rats, but I really haven't thought of that. I have this impression that no, they don't. They're not big enough nor fast enough to catch the rats, unless I have underestimated them of course :)

I've heard vermin control cited an advantage to having snakes around.:biggrin: I don't mind the non-poisonous ones but one of my neighbors knew two people who died from rattlesnake bites.

Last edited:

bret

Threads
Speaking of rats, our cat just brought a huge one home as a gift to us. I was never so disgusted! I am not the biggest fan of rodents?