Troy-Bilt 2013 Bronco Blade Knocking

tim_whitaker

Forum Newbie
Threads
First post, hi everybody :)

I am a new owner of a Troy-Bilt Bronco, that has less than 6 total hours of operation. While mowing in my back yard (which is a bit of a jungle) I ran over something (not sure what) and the engine stopped. After I disengaged the PTO and started it back up it ran just fine until I engaged the PTO again... it started to make an awful knocking sound.

So I parked it and looked under it and everything seemed fine from general appearances. After spinning the blades independently though I noticed the blade near the discharge chute barely taps the edge of the deck. I can't tell if the blade is bent, or if the deck is bent... both look perfectly normal.

If I engage the PTO I can see sparks flying out from under the deck, which is no doubt the blade hitting the deck. I'm at a loss as to how to fix this. I'm not sure if the blade can be adjusted away from the deck, or if I need to try and bend the deck so it doesn't rub any more.

I've taken several pictures of where the blade is hitting the deck, and I made a short video of what happens when I engage the PTO. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

--tim

bronco_1.jpg
bronco_2.jpg
bronco_3.jpg

chance123

Threads

I am a new owner of a Troy-Bilt Bronco, that has less than 6 total hours of operation. While mowing in my back yard (which is a bit of a jungle) I ran over something (not sure what) and the engine stopped. After I disengaged the PTO and started it back up it ran just fine until I engaged the PTO again... it started to make an awful knocking sound.

So I parked it and looked under it and everything seemed fine from general appearances. After spinning the blades independently though I noticed the blade near the discharge chute barely taps the edge of the deck. I can't tell if the blade is bent, or if the deck is bent... both look perfectly normal.

If I engage the PTO I can see sparks flying out from under the deck, which is no doubt the blade hitting the deck. I'm at a loss as to how to fix this. I'm not sure if the blade can be adjusted away from the deck, or if I need to try and bend the deck so it doesn't rub any more.

I've taken several pictures of where the blade is hitting the deck, and I made a short video of what happens when I engage the PTO. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

--tim

View attachment 15065
View attachment 15066
View attachment 15067

Better to be safe and have "all" the blades sharpened (they need it), balanced and checked for being bent.
Once the blades have been checked out as good, then see if they still hit the deck.

ncpete

Threads

--tim

Tim, it sounds like you bent a spindle. Rarely would the blade bend and then strike the deck in only one place without spindle damage also being the cause. It may be as simple as the point on the deck where the spindle bolts on that has bent, and a few whacks with a large mallet may address it, but I would bet you will be spending around $40-50 on a new spindle to resolve this.

Good Luck!

Pete

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Highly doubt you have a bent spindle, it could happen, but the shaft is short and in two bearings. I would remove the blades and have them checked at a good repair shop. I'm also thinking bent blade.

tim_whitaker

Forum Newbie
Threads
So far the idea I'm getting is to remove the blades and have them checked... the spindle idea does sound plausible to me though because it seems like it's having a harder time spinning than the other one... though I can't see enough of it to figure out why. I am trying to decided if I can take the blades off myself or if I should take the whole thing to a repair shop... problem is I wouldn't know who to take it too around here where I live, or where to take the blades.

I also don't know if it's okay to lay this thing on it's side, the manual doesn't say anything about it. Should I jack it up and put it on jack stands like a car?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would take the blades to the any dealer in your area you have confidence in. This is not going to be warranty, so go the someone you feel comfortable dealing with. Put the unit in park, jack up the front end and remove the blades with a 1/2" impact if you have one. No impact, 1/2" breaker bar and a large block of wood to clean the blades from spinning.

Brucebotti

Threads
I would take the whole deck off so that you can get a better look. Most come off easily. You should be able to figure it out visually, and if not, a manual should be available on line.
Good luck,
Bruce

tim_whitaker

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well as it turns out the blade was bent as well as the deck. I took the deck off and replaced both blades with new ones, and hammered the deck back maybe half a cm and that fixed it.

Thanks for all the excellent suggestions.

Brucebotti

Threads
Well as it turns out the blade was bent as well as the deck. I took the deck off and replaced both blades with new ones, and hammered the deck back maybe half a cm and that fixed it.

Thanks for all the excellent suggestions.

Tim,
There ain't nothin' you can't fix with a big enough hammer...:laughing: I'm glad you are back in business.
Bruce

possum

Threads
Wow. Someone that admitted to hitting something. Found his problem. Repaired it. Posted back his success. And never whined one time about the folks who made his lawntractor. Sir, I doff my hat.