Deciding between Ferris 700z 52" and Hustler Fastrak 54"

Mowsley

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Deciding between Ferris 700z 52" and Hustler Fastrak 54"
Hey all,

I apologize in advance for the length of this post. I hope some of you guys that have experience with one or bith of these can confirm my research or offer thoughts on something i might have missed. I am writing this much in part to help save other people some of the time I spent researching these mowers. The ones I ruled out were all excellent mowers (strike that. I really didn't like the dixie). After a lot of research, I feel these two offer the best combination of quality parts and the best value. I do appreciate everyone's personal loyalties, but please focus on these machines.

I'm looking for pros and/or cons for these two mowers. I would like to pick it up on Monday the 17th (two days) so if you have thoughts please post ASAP. I have looked at, priced, and rode comprable mowers from scag, bad boy, toro, exmark, gravely, dixie, deere, huskvarna, ferris, and hustler. I am down to the ferris and the hustler. Both dealers were very helpful, seem well respected, and are about 20 minutes from home. The hustler dealer was a a bit more knowledgable, but not enough to push me there. The guys at the ferris shop we very good too. I will break down my observations below. I welcome any thoughts, corrections or feedback. I am leaning toward the ferris, but its close to a coin flip.

I will spend most of my time mowing my fairly small and flat yard. The reason I am looking at this grade mower is that I have four rental homes. I will not mow them regularly, but when I do, I'm sure it will be because the tenants fell behind and the grass will be very long. At home time is not really an issue (but quicker is always better). At the rentals I would prefer to get in and out as quickly as possible and not have to deal with a mower that is bogging down.

Here are my observations.

Price - advantage ferris (barely). $5500 on the hustler and $5800 on the ferris with free regular maintenance for the first year (200 value according to the dealer.) I am sure I could do it myself, but its worth something.

Ride - advantage ferris. It's hard to compare, since I was not on the same lawn with both and they were both good. I did feel like the shocks on the ferris worked as advertised though. It was heads and shoulders above most other mowers. For some reason the hustler felt pretty close though.

Engine - advantage hustler. The Kawasaki is an 800 upgrade on the ferris and is standard on the hustler. The ferris I would get does have the commercial 28hp Briggs with cyclonic filtering. Everyone online seems to think the Kawasaki is a big upgrade and it is an expensive one on the ferris. If not for this, I would probably just get the ferris and be done with it. HP is less on the Kawasaki, but from my research that has more to do with how they rate it than the actual power of the engine.

Trans - advantage ferris. 3400 vs 3100

Build quality - advantage hustler. I'm probably not qualified to say, but hustler seems to have done a better job with the details. It seems like the big stuff that would impact durability is great on both though with one possible exception. Do the additional moving parts in the suspension create issues in the long run? Ferris would argue they actually help prevent them, but there is more to break.

Deck - advantage ferris. This is actually pretty close but the ferris comes with a striping kit standard and it would be a minor upgrade on the hustler. The hustler is 2" bigger though. I don't feel like this is a huge deal in my situation. The ferris also lifts 5" vs 4.5". Negligible I'm sure, but this could make a difference in deep grass. I really don't know though. I think they are both 4" deep.

Cut quality - I don't know. They both seem excellent to me.

Speed - advantage ferris. 10mph vs 8mph top speed.

Wheels - advantage ferris. 22/13 vs 20/10

Warranties are basically the same for me (residential warranty).

Spindles - advantage ferris?? Greasable seems to be the preference, but it is something that I could forget to do and end up being a problem.

Overall look - advantage hustler. The ferris looked pretty cool to with the shocks, but the ferris just looked better. A e end of the day, not really a factor, but there you have it.

Misc items.

Hustler - dual gas tank, ROPS is fixed so i would probably remove it, no need for parking break (clever design), there were quite a few small design things that seemed nice like an easy way to take tension out of the belt, easy access to the top of the spindles, convenient oil drain, etc..

Ferris - adjustable ROPS so I would probably keep it on, they claim the suspension will help with longevity and I guess it makes sense, the floor pan comes up easily, on the hustler it comes up but it's a bit of a pain.

There you have it. That is my super long post. Hopefully it is helpful to others in my situation and I really hope you guys can fill in any details that I may have missed or or been misinformed on.

Thanks!!

Mowsley

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to these Forums...

I am Very partial to Hustler... and from your lists I am fairly sure you will be also... :smile:KennyV

Floodwaker

Threads
Mowsley, this is a fantastic post. It hits on exactly the points that I am looking at between the Ferris and Hustler. I have narrowed my search between a 2012 Ferris 1500z for $6,000 out the door (otd), a 2013 Ferris 600z for $5,400 (otd), a 2013 Hustler Fastrak for $5,200 otd, or a 2012 Scag Freedom Z for $5,500 otd. All have 48" decks and Kawasaki FS engines, though the Hustler has about 3 more horses than the other machines. Unfortunately, none of the dealers I've been to have an area where I can engage the blades and see the quality of cut, which is of the highest level of importance to me. Close in importance is build quality/longevity combined with affordability of parts and ease of service when something inevitably goes wrong.

Mosley has done a great job of pointing out nearly all of the differences I have observed between the Ferris and Hustler along with some new ones. The dealer with the 2012 Ferris 1500z is telling me that $6,000 is dealer cost, and with this unit I will be getting dual drive motors, which none of the other machines have. The dealer described this a closer to a "true commercial" machine but admitted that these motors are more expensive to maintain and repair. Other than that, if going Ferris, I would lean towards the 2013 Ferris 600z because it is less money and newer, plus the 2012 has been left outside and is showing rust in areas including on the suspension. The 600z has a slightly upgraded hydro compared to the Huster and Scag but probably not enough that I would notice as a consumer. Scag has a reputation for fantastic cut quality, but this is on their higher grade velocity decks, which the Freedom Z does not have. The Ferris units both have their iCD cutting system with Marbain blades, but I have read a review online that the Huster deck tends to bog down and clog in thick grass. I have not seen any good comparison reviews online about the cut quality of these units, so this has been my biggest disadvantage in my shopping. I did really like the Ferris suspension, but I know for $200 I can add a caster wheel shock absorber to the Hustler. The Scag, I believe, does not offer anything to help the suspension, but they do offer a seat upgrade for about $400.

Mosley, I hope you don't mind my post. I am not trying to hijack your thread. Your post was just so good that it encouraged me to join this forum, as it hit on exactly the points that I am seeing between the Huster Fastrak and the Ferris 600z.

Anyone in the forum with some real world experience cutting with any of these units? I'd really appreciate some useful feedback. Thanks!

Mowsley

Forum Newbie
Threads
No problem. Btw. I went with the Ferris and I couldn't be happier. It sounds like I'm sitting on a helicopter when I engage the blade. I did upgrade to the Kawasaki engine.

This is not to say the hustler would not be a good choice. I'm sure it would.

If you have not owned a zero turn before, go to you tube and search "three point turn mower" (sorry, not sure how to do a link) the first result will show you how to do it. I have a neighbor that actually got rid of his zero turn because he didn't know it was possible to turn without tearing up the lawn.

Good luck!!

Floodwaker

Threads
Thanks. I'm leaning towards the Ferris too. Both of the Ferris units I'm considering are with 18.5 hp Kawasaki and 48" cut, so it's not 100% apples to apples, but how do you like the cut on your 52" deck?

Does anybody else here on the forum have any feedback on the cut quality of the 48" decks on the Hustler Fastrak and Scag Freedom Z?

Last edited:

Mowsley

Forum Newbie
Threads
I think the cut quality is top notch. There seems to be a lot of suction so the blades stand up straight and are cut cleanly. I can't compare to anything else, but I am happy.

I feel like you can't really go wrong here. From my research, these two are the best value. Pick a color you like and mow off into the sunset ;-)

Mowsley

Forum Newbie
Threads
Let us know when you decide. I am curious.

Floodwaker

Threads

I will. I don't think I can go wrong with any of the units I'm considering, so pricing is now at the forefront.

Right now, I'm leaning heavily towards the Ferris models and trying to negotiate the best deal on the is600z and the is1500z between two different dealers. I read a few reviews about the Hustler Fastrak having clogging issues with its deck, so I've started to rule that out. The Scag Freedom Z is still competitively in the running, but it all hinges on what the local Ferris dealers are willing to do on price. Thanks, and wish me luck!

Floodwaker

Threads

I ordered the Ferris is600z today. It was not in stock with the Kawasaki engine locally, so I have ordered it. I hope to have it within the next 7 to 10 days.

Thanks again for your great post and feedback.

Floodwaker

Threads
Mowsley, does your 700 really cut to 5", as the specs indicate? My 600 arrived on Saturday, and it is clearly marked that when the deck is in the transport position, it is only cutting to a max height of 4.5". I'm a little disappointed that my mower was not marketed properly to true specs!