87 octane with ethanol OR 91 octane ethanol free

iMower

Threads
The Stabil(red) Fuel Stabilizer states that it will keep gasoline fresh for up to 12 months if added per directions.
I have been using pump gas and adding Stabil in my 5 gallon containers, which were used up in the summer and filled with fresh pump gas and Stabil. My bottle says it keeps fuel functional for 12 months. However, Ohio winters are about 6 months long and the fuel is left in the cans because I know that I probably won't need to use it (and I am too lazy to drain the generator if I can avoid it.):smile:

Be aware that you cannot get gasoline out of your vehicles with a siphon because the government banned it. I have 40 - 50 gallons of fuel that I could use in a blizzard/storm/emergency, but no way to get to it. Plan accordingly. If anyone knows how I can get it out in an emergency, I would really appreciate hearing how.

When someone mentioned using AVGAS it was enlightening because as I mentioned above, I used to get it for my street machines but never thought of it for mowers. In those days we had lead but no alcohol. I live in Ohio and the nearest marina with no alcohol is about 150+ miles from here, but my friendly local general aviation airport is about 6 miles from here. Someone mentioned that you did not need Stabil with AVGAS, and I wondered. I guess the best idea would be to use AVGAS with Stabil for maximum benefit, and keep the generator filled since it would make for a faster start in the dark.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Emptying gas out of a vehicle is easy open hood disconnect fuel line from fuel rail. Run a rubber hose/tube to gas can turn car on start but don't start it. Watch gas can fill up.

iMower

Threads
Emptying gas out of a vehicle is easy open hood disconnect fuel line from fuel rail. Run a rubber hose/tube to gas can turn car on start but don't start it. Watch gas can fill up.

Thanks for the information. Of course, I will have to find out where the connection to the fuel rail is located. I am certain that it will be hidden, inaccessible, and very tight. :laughing: Have you pumped 5 or 10 gallons of gas at one shot out of an auto tank this way? I would not want to overload the pump, which seems unlikely since I guess it is running whenever the engine is running. In an emergency, I would want to get at least 5 gallons if at all possible so I can add lots of time to my generator while my wife is holding the flashlight so I can put gas in. This sounds like a place to add a valve and cap to make it easy. Do you have any thoughts on that?

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've emptied a 20 gallon tank this way. I was looking for a siphon at my old job to change out fuel filter my old boss was like what are you doing. He got 4 5 gallon jugs ready showed me how was quick and easy. Just watch your battery you shouldn't kill your battery this way but you never know

2manyboats

Forum Newbie
Threads
Check to see if any local stations carry ethanol free gas -- buyrealgas.com Ethanol Free Gas Stations/QUOTE]

This web site is woefully out of date for Texas. There are three stations selling No-E gas just in my immediate area that are missing from this site.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Easy finding 100% gas here, 87/ 89 & 93 octanes. So much farming around here.

Good stuff, I even tested it from a new location, & it was E-Free as well.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
First of all, keep in mind that there are different octane rating systems used in different countries. In most countries, the Research Octane Rating (RON) is used. In the US and Canada the Anti-Knock Index (AKI) octane rating system is used, often given as (R+M)/2 on pumps. In effect this means that the octane number given in the US at the pump is 4 to 6 Octane numbers lower than elsewhere. So if you have a piece of equipment from Europe, be sure to check to check which Octane rating system is used if the manual states the minimum octane recommended. If it says minimum 89 RON then it's fine to use 87 AKI. Lately most manuals I've seen are giving the minimum recommended Octane using the AKI rating system, but historically many gave the RON instead.

I'm willing to pay a good bit more for ethanol-free gasoline, but it isn't available at the pump in my area at all. My state is in an area that is in non-compliant with Federal air quality standards so all of our gasoline has up to 10% ethanol added. I use 89 Octane is my mowers and my frequently-used handheld equipment. My seldom-used handhelds such as my chain saws, hedge trimmers, brush cutter and pole pruner all get fed 95 octane canned 50:1 ethanol-free gasoline at a cost of $27.50/gallon. It's expensive but if it saves me one fuel-related failure over the course of a year it's worth it to me. I also store my backup blowers and trimmers with canned ethanol-free gasoline. So pretty much all of my handheld equipment except my main trimmer and blower runs and/or is stored with canned Ethanol-free gasoline. This has been a progressive change for me that started with just my chain saws.

I do use Star-Tron fuel additive for winterizing my larger equipment (mowers, snowblowers and wheel blower) that is running Ethanol fuel. It seems to work and I have had it solve surging from equipment stored too long with Ethanol fuel.

John R

Threads
Been using ethanol free 91 octane in all my power equipment for years, where it really shines is in chainsaws.

Lawn Addict
Threads
The Sta-Bil has a limited shelf life once the bottle is opened. That's one thing more I like about Seafoam* never goes bad in the bottle, & can stabilize gas for a solid 2 years. I've tested it.

Walmart sells it (16 oz bottle) for $6.

Auto Parts usually want $ 11. or so. :confused2:

Threads
I saw a bottle of Sea foam at Fred's..... A dollar type store for 10 bux a couple days ago....

I am waiting on 2 boxes of samples and kits from K 100 fuel treatment from the factory.. I am going to be a dealer for them.. That stuff works great... It makes the water in fuel burn and it is a stabilizer also.....